Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Registered
383 Posts
With a Buffet low A like new baritone I had about 15 years ago, it came with a screw in socket on the bottom of the bow. It held the instrument very well and was comfortable. The horn had a wonderful sound but was so awkward in it's keyboard, so I sold it. Now, I have a great 277K Selmer MKVI baritone but I'm reluctant to add a peg because anything added to this thin horn will probably dampen the sound. A clamp on stand certainly did dampen it.

The idea of making a lightweight padded box to set the horn on between the legs certainly is attractive. Maybe it could be made from plastic pipe with 1/4 inch felt padding to not scratch the horn. One could wear the neck strap for standing up at the same time.

· Registered
4,342 Posts
The idea of making a lightweight padded box to set the horn on between the legs certainly is attractive. Maybe it could be made from plastic pipe with 1/4 inch felt padding to not scratch the horn. One could wear the neck strap for standing up at the same time.
If you're thinking along those lines I'd probably start with something like this;

http://www.amazon.com/On-Stage-FS7850B-Guitar-Foot/dp/B000CD1R7K

Cheap, sturdy, folds flat so it's easily portable - for 1/3 the cost of a box of bari reeds you could see if this would work for you. I just stacked up a couple of phone books and a yoga block I had laying around. This setup wasn't easy to adjust or dial-in to the perfect height but it was enough to tell me this type of solution wasn't going to work very well for me.

· Registered
643 Posts
Apologies, only spotted MontyMac's comment,a year later! Yes,I reckon that might work well, if I've understood what you're suggesting.
Since I bought a saxholder, playing bari standing has become a lot easier and I'm not in that mini big band any more -but if I find myself needing to play sitting down on a regular basis again I'll give that a go and report back...eventually.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.