Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
View attachment 35389 View attachment 35390

Whoops, just realised these photos have been sitting around for months and I hadn't done anything about adding them to this thread.

I guess the photos say it all. When I first bought the bari and had the peg added, I mainly played sitting, with the bari in between my legs. This has a couple of disadvantages - it makes for an awkward right wrist position and it means that the palm keys are a bit tricky to play because there's no resistance to the pressure from your left hand. But otherwise it works well.

However, after a period of playing mainly standing up, with a harness, I've been playing in a mini-big band and have taken to playing with the bari on my right, resting against my right leg. This works very well.

Either way I find it a bit tricky to find a position for sheet music in which I can see the pages in front of me without the top curl of the bari getting in the way, but I presume that's an issue however you position the horn and has nothing to do with the fact that it's resting on a peg.

Either way, this is very easy to adjust for height. The peg takes the entire weight of the horn. I'm very happy with this setup.
It seems a Lot of threads here are protracted but what the heck!
I'm rebuilding my Bari, the bottom bow guard is smashed in will need straightening anyway so I have many options in front of me right now.

LOVE Jim's solution and have been thinking of a way to make a secondary pin to slide inside the pipe and be adjustable. Maybe take the first 1/4" nipple, drill out for a 5/16" rod, make 2 saw cuts in an X through the lower threads then use a hex coupling as a"nut" for the pipe threads so that when the 5/16" rod is inserted the "nut" and pipe act as a collet and tighten on the rod giving a much finer adjustment without having to do a set screw thing in the pipe.

With your rod arrangement Edwin, (I just SO LOVE YOUR AVATAR) could you get another rod, ( 3/8" stainless I presume?) make 2 45 degree bends to get the point under the center of the bow, then could even let it swing to the outside a little and add just a little weight to the left?
Just a fabricators thoughts first thing in the morning

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.