Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
643 Posts
My tech kindly added a peg to my bari. I say "kindly" because although I paid him for it, it clearly turned out to be a lot more effort than he'd expected and he refused to take more money than he'd originally quoted for the job.

I've been meaning to post pictures of this for ages and will try to get my act together in the next day or so and do it. I'll try to describe it now though.
What he did was attach a short brass tube to the front of the bell. The tube has a screw at the front. Then there's a removable peg - more of a rod than a peg, really, it's maybe 25cm long - which slides into the tube and is locked in position by tightening the screw. This means that the length can be very conveniently adjusted to suit the height of the chair you're sitting in. I mainly play with the horn in front of me, although it works with the horn to the side as well.

My tech was impressed with the effect - the bari is well balanced and seems weightless. He was skeptical at first when I asked him to do it but now reckons it should be a standard fitting on the bari.

You could play it without a strap, although I don't. In fact the main downside is that the whole thing feels so light that there's almost no resistance when you play the palm keys - the horn tends to just swing away to the right when you press on them - so that you need to adjust the way you play a little.

· Registered
643 Posts
Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Automotive lighting Brass instrument
Automotive lighting Hood Amber Motor vehicle Airplane

Whoops, just realised these photos have been sitting around for months and I hadn't done anything about adding them to this thread.

I guess the photos say it all. When I first bought the bari and had the peg added, I mainly played sitting, with the bari in between my legs. This has a couple of disadvantages - it makes for an awkward right wrist position and it means that the palm keys are a bit tricky to play because there's no resistance to the pressure from your left hand. But otherwise it works well.

However, after a period of playing mainly standing up, with a harness, I've been playing in a mini-big band and have taken to playing with the bari on my right, resting against my right leg. This works very well.

Either way I find it a bit tricky to find a position for sheet music in which I can see the pages in front of me without the top curl of the bari getting in the way, but I presume that's an issue however you position the horn and has nothing to do with the fact that it's resting on a peg.

Either way, this is very easy to adjust for height. The peg takes the entire weight of the horn. I'm very happy with this setup.

· Registered
643 Posts
Apologies, only spotted MontyMac's comment,a year later! Yes,I reckon that might work well, if I've understood what you're suggesting.
Since I bought a saxholder, playing bari standing has become a lot easier and I'm not in that mini big band any more -but if I find myself needing to play sitting down on a regular basis again I'll give that a go and report back...eventually.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.