Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4,342 Posts
I'm not sure about this. I haven't found playing the bari out in front to be especially comfortable. Tried putting stuff (a few books and a yoga block) under the bow of my bari once- I found it to be nice initially but I tend to move around over the course of a few hours playing leaning forward or back in my chair, straight back, slight slouch, etc. The mouthpiece was only in the right spot for sitting one way. If I sat up straight I needed to tip the horn to get the mouthpiece higher, if I sat back I'd have to tip it a different way- the angle (of the mouthpiece entering my mouth) was never quite right except in that one spot.

The other issue is space. I've been gigging with a horn band that's just starting up; http://www.masshipsteria.com/ and few of the clubs in our neck of the woods have the space for a full horn section- if I had a 2-3ft. extension on the end of my horn(s) it would quickly turn into a Stooge act of me knocking over stands and mics and whipping people across the legs when switching horns or music.

I'd also be interested to see how a peg attached that way would effect bell key alignment over the course of time. The bari is especially susceptible to having the bell keys knocked out of line due to the size and length of the tube. It doesn't take much to make low A's and Bb's very difficult to play.

· Registered
4,342 Posts
The idea of making a lightweight padded box to set the horn on between the legs certainly is attractive. Maybe it could be made from plastic pipe with 1/4 inch felt padding to not scratch the horn. One could wear the neck strap for standing up at the same time.
If you're thinking along those lines I'd probably start with something like this;

http://www.amazon.com/On-Stage-FS7850B-Guitar-Foot/dp/B000CD1R7K

Cheap, sturdy, folds flat so it's easily portable - for 1/3 the cost of a box of bari reeds you could see if this would work for you. I just stacked up a couple of phone books and a yoga block I had laying around. This setup wasn't easy to adjust or dial-in to the perfect height but it was enough to tell me this type of solution wasn't going to work very well for me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.