Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been going through a long stretch where I've been incredibly unhappy with my tone and playing in general. I forced myself to open pro tools tonight and record myself. This is what came out of that. Did this on the first take, please let me know your thoughts.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-atheney/adams-apple

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
You sound great man!!!!!!!!!!!

I love your TONE, ideas, and general flow. Everything feels good, and the vibe is groovin' in your playing.

To my ear you get stuck thinking in the moment and not slightly ahead of what you are wanting to do. Therefore, occasionally you get stuck or have a slight rhythmic slip as you try to navigate to new language. I do this often....so I can relate. Additionally, your rhythmic concept can get a little loose. Be careful to think about where you place the front of the note, I think of myself as a percussionist (aren't we all??)...and that helps me. Your playing, technique, and language are all killin'!!!!! To me, applying more conceptual ideas to your approach would perhaps breathe new life into what you already have in your bag vocabulary wise. *but we can all always add more vocabulary* :)

I wanted to hear a bit more rhythmic accuracy (only really at the end of certain phrases), more dynamic contrast to create interest, longer phrases to compliment the short interjection type gestures that you often make, a little more "grip" in your articulation on the front of the note, a solo contour, and maybe some idiomatic sax tricks to spice things up. (but I do recognize this was a grip and rip recording)

You are obviously a dedicated and serious musician......it's all there bro! Maybe just a slightly different conceptualization of what you have could be what you are looking for....I find that thinking of old stuff in new ways is a start to thinking of and pursuing new concepts.

Thanks so much for the great listening!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To my ear you get stuck thinking in the moment and not slightly ahead of what you are wanting to do. Therefore, occasionally you get stuck or have a slight rhythmic slip as you try to navigate to new language. I do this often....so I can relate. Additionally, your rhythmic concept can get a little loose. Be careful to think about where you place the front of the note, I think of myself as a percussionist (aren't we all??)...and that helps me. Your playing, technique, and language are all killin'!!!!! To me, applying more conceptual ideas to your approach would perhaps breathe new life into what you already have in your bag vocabulary wise. *but we can all always add more vocabulary* :)

I wanted to hear a bit more rhythmic accuracy (only really at the end of certain phrases), more dynamic contrast to create interest, longer phrases to compliment the short interjection type gestures that you often make, a little more "grip" in your articulation on the front of the note, a solo contour, and maybe some idiomatic sax tricks to spice things up. (but I do recognize this was a grip and rip recording)
Tremendous insights here, and I agree with all of them. Thank you for taking the time to listen and reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts