Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Neely does a good job analyzing the so-called Worst Jazz Solo of All Time. He really goes into question of why some solos sound "good" and others "bad".

This could also have been filed in the rock and roll saxophone forum.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Sorry, I fell asleep at about the 10:00 mark.......................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
So, to paraphrase the video, what made it bad is not that it's one note, it's that, unlike other one-note solos, he's not making it say anything.

·
Registered
267 Posts
https://youtu.be/He-sYfNGsv8

Can't stop laughing at it. ��

This is one of the all-time classics. I just knew before I opened the link, that this would be it.
Thank you for the early morning laugh. It';s the gift that keeps on giving.
I saw the first time this morning, and it made my day, can't stop laughing at!

Obviously the keyboard player forgot to transpose his piano for the piece.

But I don't understand why at the last Tone the sax player hit the root of the chord and choose to land on the major seventh.

They probably had an argument before the show.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I saw the first time this morning, and it made my day, can't stop laughing at!

Obviously the keyboard player forgot to transpose his piano for the piece.

But I don't understand why at the last Tone the sax player hit the root of the chord and choose to land on the major seventh.

They probably had an argument before the show.
Interesting that you blame the keyboard player. I'll have to try that sometime.

Anyway, here's another classic for your enjoyment:

·
SOTW Administrator
26,251 Posts
Adam Neely has some great videos up. I would recommend him to anyone. I thought this was well-done and thought provoking.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III & Naked Lady
29,814 Posts
Adam Neely has some great videos up. I would recommend him to anyone. I thought this was well-done and thought provoking.
But it seems odd that he doesn't seem to realise it's not a jazz solo, nor aspires to be. The Flintstones Movie was the worst French Nouvelle Vague film ever.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Interesting that you blame the keyboard player. I'll have to try that sometime.

Anyway, here's another classic for your enjoyment:
Well or maybe our colleague forgot to tune his soprano.
Thanks for the other video it's wonderful too 😂

·
Registered
241 Posts
Re : Re: Adam Neely's Analysis of "The Worst Jazz Solo of All Time"

But it seems odd that he doesn't seem to realise it's not a jazz solo, nor aspires to be. The Flintstones Movie was the worst French Nouvelle Vague film ever.
Interesting, I thought he seemed to understand the genre pretty well

To me the references to Red Prysock and Big Jay Mcneely showed he had a decent grasp of the lineage/tradition of this kind of playing. Although I'd agree maybe "jazz" wasn't the best adjective...

edit: Speaking of one note solos (this one IS a jazz solo)

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Re: Re : Re: Adam Neely's Analysis of "The Worst Jazz Solo of All Time"

To me the references to Red Prysock and Big Jay Mcneely showed he had a decent grasp of the lineage/tradition of this kind of playing. Although I'd agree maybe "jazz" wasn't the best adjective...

edit: Speaking of one note solos (this one IS a jazz solo)

It's like his octave key was sticky, so he played a G until it became unstuck. Once unstuck, he played octaves to ensure it was unstuck. Then the Bb stuck..............

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III & Naked Lady
29,814 Posts

I disagree - if he thinks it was, or was meant to be, jazz then it shows a very basic misunderstanding of the jazz genre.

You get this quite a lot though people assume because it’s a saxophone it must be jazz.

EDIT: I have watched again and done a fairly extensive review in post 41 here

·
SOTW Administrator
26,251 Posts
It's a bad solo, regardless of the genre.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,566 Posts

I disagree - if he thinks it was, or was meant to be, jazz then it shows a very basic misunderstanding of the jazz genre.
I find this attitude to be a bit condescending. For one thing, Adam (the narrator) is a professional jazz musician.

Moreover, as Morph1590 indicates, he demonstrates a pretty good understanding of this genre, and discusses both its roots in jazz and its relationship to R&B and Rock and Roll.

Finally, his analysis covers many different styles/genres of music so that, in the end, it doesn't matter what label one places on this particular solo.

FWIW, I agree with you (Pete) in that I wouldn't personally call the solo in question a "jazz solo". But in the context of the video, it's clear that (1) he's calling it a jazz solo primarily because the social media criticism of it that prompted the video referred to it as "the worst jazz solo of all time" and (2) he makes a pretty good case that it cannot be summarily ruled out as a "jazz solo".

·
Registered
561 Posts
Adam reminds me of my little brother. He is intelligent, analytical, sexy, talented, and I love him. I can only filter very small portions of my little brother and then I need to turn him off. I love you Adam.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pete, he only called it that because the solo became "famous" on Twitter last month under the title of the worst jazz solo ever.

Actually I thought the funniest part was when the group's singer said he didn't have a lot of time to prepare. It was a 12-bar R&B blues - exactly how much time did he need?

1 - 20 of 121 Posts