Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,802 Posts
That was great. Thanks. I wish I had done this earlier in my life with the omnibook. Back then I played many of the tunes but I didn't have any of the recordings when I was younger. It's like your learning backwards from the sheet music. Now when I give a student a Parker solo they have to dig into the recording also. It makes a huge difference. Especially, if you figure it out by ear like Mr. Brenner did. Great stuff!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2010-
369 Posts
Adam is a wonderful player and a real nice guy too. We have had a couple of opportunities to play together, and the vibe is always joyous and enthusiastic. He is a cat that always seems to have a “seeking spirit” for the music. So often, at least in my experience, these are the people that make the best teachers.

I love how he shadows a lesser known take of Bird on Just Friends and not the album cut. Good stuff.

(BTW, I know he plays a Focustone on his King Super 20 tenor & he sounds great on that!)

·
Registered
235 Posts
GREAT STUFF.

Yeah I have this cut of Just Friends, gotta love the Nostalgia quote in there. I worked on the first part Just Friends cut on Bird With Strings. Never really see how dynamic Bird was until you try to play along with it.

This is a great video, explores the often left out aspect of internalizing Jazz.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
He NAILS it. Completely spot on about how important it is for a student (heck......that includes all of us!) to not just play the correct notes and rhythms, but the real "meat 'n potatoes" is how well all of the nuances can be executed. Actually, I think the same goes for playing classical, funk.....pretty much anything. I always tell students (and myself) that anyone, with enough practice can learn to play the correct notes and rhythms, but the notes and rhythm is only half of the challenge.

Excellent stuff. Thanks for posting!

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts