Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Acoustimax C (.077") for alto in the mail this morning, and I'm blown away by it. I would judge the tone to be brighter and more complex than my Meyer G6, mostly due to the focus of the higher tones, but the real selling point is the response. I've never played a hand finished piece before, but I've never gotten my A992 to make that quiet of a whisper in my life. I also pushed the volume and could feel the reed pleading to stop, but the Acoustimax wouldn't hear it. Simply fantastic. It handles my punchy bends so well, as I have a tendency to really rip on them (whereas my meyer will get overblown). I've only had it for 5 hours, so bear with my recording. The Acoustimax is my new lead piece, but I'm not chucking the MeyerG. I feel like the Klum piece will get me closer to my inner sax voice once I get used to it, but the Marc Jean ligature that I got to pair with it really opened up my Meyer as well. More smokey and fat than with my FL Ultimate.

Couldn't be happier, either my lips are gonna fall off or I'm going to fall asleep with sax in hand tonight. I just finished this comparison video between the two aforementioned pieces, so enjoy it and tell me what you think. I will say the Klum piece is my main once again, it has potential out the wazoo, but I will admit that I'm not comfortable with it yet. I can hear it plain as day on this recording, that I'm much more accustomed to the Meyer, and with the MJ lig it feels like my old mpc has new life in it. Side note: I don't think the lig changed my tone, I feel like it opened up the responce from the mpc and seated the reed better LEADING to a better sound. No ligature has ever given me this drastic of an improvement EVER, anyone want a corroded old silver FL Ultimate? Haha jk I'm keeping it for a conversation piece.

So while I will entertain comments like "You sound better on the Meyer", I will respond "Give me a week or two" :D I used to play every day in highschool, started smoking, quit smoking back in December (6 years later), and now intend to get back in the shed. I know my technique isn't where it used to be, but hopefully you can hear the differences between my mouthpieces. Thanks for listening and let me know what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIix-5HQCyo

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
..... not even a sarcastic "They sound the same you're a doofus" ??

1 - 2 of 2 Posts