Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to see an "Acoustics" topic under the general heading of "Tech Discussion". There seems to be a small group of members who are actively interested in this very important aspect of saxophone design and performance. I think a separate topic for this discussion would go a long way to help those whose eyes glaze over when they accidentally read something about acoustics in a thread in another area of the forum. Thanks for considering this request.

John

·
Administrator Emerita
11,597 Posts
What is "Acoustics"? (obviously I'm not a tech) can you elaborate more on that? - Thanks :)

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
kcp said:
What is "Acoustics"? (obviously I'm not a tech) can you elaborate more on that? - Thanks :)
:D

kcp: It would appear that you are that very rare thing. A woman with an absolutely killing sense of humour. Jolly good! :)

·
Administrator Emerita
11,597 Posts
I must shamefully admit that this wasn't an attempt at humour:toothy9: ...must be da french ting again

·
8,322 Posts
kcp said:
I must shamefully admit that this wasn't an attempt at humour:toothy9: ...must be da french ting again
No way!! This is like one of those jokes the wife tells that I think is hilarious and she won't even admit it's meant to be funny, isn't it? I'm sticking to my first interpretation. You're asking jbtsax to elaborate on the topic of "what is acoustics"? Correct?

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could just say "quoi que" ("whatever" in French) Rooty just to show you I can be terse and to the point. But my response to Kim needs a bit more substance because I really think an Acoustics topic would be a neat idea.

Acoustics is a branch of physics that simply put deals with the "science of sound". There have been many "animated" and "loving" discussions on SOTW on:

-the effects of lacquer on the sound of the saxophone
-how temperature effects the pitch
-how playing in the altissimo register is influenced by the harmonic series, and
-the current and ever popular the effects of cryogenic treatment

All these and more Acoustics discussions have been scattered under various headings, and I think it would be helpful for the group of AOTW members who are interested in this field of study to have all of the threads in one Acoustics section.

Merci de votre excellente questionne.

Acoustically yours,

Jean

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
Grumps said:
Or better yet, call it The Combat Zone...
Ah! Yes, very interesting indeed, I'll second (third, fourth....?) jbtsax's proposal.

It would be nice to wear gloves when taking part......:cool:

En garde!:D

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Milandro, I think you just want to make it easier to find threads and posts to complain about. "Here we go round the mulberry bush......" :D

jbtsax's Miranda Warning:
Anything you post on SOTW can and will be used against you in a future thread. :)

Touche'

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
I think an acoustic section would be great. However, I usually just use the 'new posts' button when on SOTW.

·
8,322 Posts
jbtsax said:
Merci de votre excellente questionne.

Acoustically yours,

Jean
John: You're a good chap and you can take a joke, which is always appealing :). I kind of agree that "Acoustics" is a topic rather separate from "tech" issues and perhaps a new topic heading would be helpful.

Donc, Kim, ma cherie, qu'est ce que tu penses? :twisted: ;) (I'm actually not quite sure what that meant myself but freely translated: "Kim, chuck, whadya think?")

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,978 Posts
hakukani said:
I think an acoustic section would be great. However, I usually just use the 'new posts' button when on SOTW.
I do the same thing; opening new posts by title rather than dwell in any one section. However, some folks don't travel as much.

·
Administrator Emerita
11,597 Posts
thanks jbtsax for the explanation.

Acoustic can mean many things. It can be a science yes, but it can also be something used for sound perception, it can be a phenomenon, a quality... I somehow had trouble figuring out what it had to do with repairs (eg.screws and bolts)

RootyTootoot said:
Donc, Kim, ma cherie, qu'est ce que tu penses?
I think that your wife is probably right ;)

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are right. I was thinking more in terms of what affects the sound waves inside the instrument, but this heading could also include discussions of how the acoustics of different rooms affect the sound of the instrument or even the psychoacoustics of the perception of sound and pitch. All of these, I think are "technical" topics. I have never thought of "Tech Discussion" as meaning just repair tech subjects. I think that anything of a technical nature would fit nicely under that heading.

John

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
kcp said:
thanks jbtsax for the explanation.

Acoustic can mean many things. It can be a science yes, but it can also be something used for sound perception, it can be a phenomenon, a quality... I somehow had trouble figuring out what it had to do with repairs (eg.screws and bolts)

I think that your wife is probably right ;)
Acoustics the study of mechanical waves in matter. It's all physics.

Psychoacoustics is the study of the perception of those waves.

They each have their own unique, yet related, language and conventions.

For example in physics we have frequency, in psychoacoustics we perceive pitch.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
jbtsax said:
In Psychoticacoustics we are back to loose "screws and bolts" so we have come full circle. :)
But the screws and bolts are virtual, in the mind of the operator.;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
point taken about the Mulberry bush! :) but believe me or not JBTSAX, I would really like to hear and read something (aside fron the ususal yes/no stuff) which would be informing and teaching me something about mouthpieces and saxophones's acoustics. Somethig which would go past the hearsay and commonplace assumptions.
Then I enjoy a nice fight as the next man! :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,574 Posts
I would love to be a lurker in an acoustics section. I have lots of questions in my mind regarding tuning issues (effects of baffles in toneholes in one octave vs the next, or chamber shape versus intonation in mouthpieces).

My concern is that there might be very little more than opinion expressed. I have not gone back to reread the acoustics threads I can remember, but I don't recall much in the realm of true scientific evidence being cited, much less proved through experimentation. Even when scientific work is cited, there seems to be a "yeah, but I know that's not true because my plated sax is brighter and gutsier than my lacquered one" attitude in many of the responses.

Alan

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
Then there are the digital considerations of accoustics and audio fillters and how they are used to enhance saxophone recordings.

Frequency/time domain conversions compliments of Fourier and what can be done with them.

Compression, companding, delay effects, room simulation, microphone selection and placement, and so on.

With a dedicated topic, threads that stray into such esoteric areas can be redirected so those members who are bored by or just not interested in the subject matter can ignore the messages.

That's what we need. More topic repositories for messages we don't want to read. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts