Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently acquired an Acme Master tenor and have been searching, without success, for some answers. I'd like to know if this is a Malerne stencil. I've read a few posts regarding Malernes and this sax has at least some of the earmarks, i.e. serial number (5XXX) running vertically along back. However, it does not have the characteristic elongated C spatula or the extra long rod attached with six posts. Does anyone have an idea who made this sax or when it was made? I have to tell you that it is a remarkable instrument. Bold, solid, free-blowing -- has the feel of a Beaugnier but with more guts. It has light action, simple key work, and reaches crystal clear altissimo more easily than any sax I've ever played. If you need more pics just let me know.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,183 Posts
I would say it isn't a Malerne. This has elements of a later horn. The vertical serial numbers are also found on Santoni, Italy horns. Interesting little emblem on the neck.

But just looking at the pinky table and spats, as well as the angled spines on the keycups and the raised thumbrest.....I would say pretty certainly this did not come from Malerne.

A full pic of the horn, top to bottom, both sides, would help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts