1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
351 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ace Cannon was playing and recording during the years when the sax and sax sections were featured on hundreds of hit songs on the jukebox and radio stations across the country. Top 100 Rock, Pop, R&B, Country, Jazz, Easy Listening and more featured a lot of sax solos during the 50's and 60's. We had so many players who gave us the inspiration we needed. And so many different styles and sounds from the laid back melodies to roof raising screamers and honkers. It was all there.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Sad news, indeed. My senior year in high school (1974) I got in trouble at the Alabama All-State Band concert. The tenor player sitting next to me and I were warming up before the concert. There was considerable noise from everyone playing so nothing that we played should have been heard over the din. We both had listened to a lot of Ace Cannon and Boots and we started playing "Tuff". Well, one of the prudish band directors who was in attendance walked up to us and told us that was not "appropriate" warm up material and that we should cease and desist. R.I.P., Ace.

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We both had listened to a lot of Ace Cannon and Boots and we started playing "Tuff". Well, one of the prudish band directors who was in attendance walked up to us and told us that was not "appropriate" warm up material and that we should cease and desist.
:)

Alright!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts