Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I accidentally scratched the inside of my mouthpiece while cleaning it with a mouthpiece brush. Will this affect my sound? They’re only superficial scratches. I tried playing it and it seems different but it could be my new reeds being inconsistent or just the placebo effect.
Heres what they look l

thank you

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Those will not affect anything. But in the future use a swab or a very soft cloth for cleaning the mouthpiece. Personally I favor chamois, as, once washed, it won't scratch and it's very soft. I make my own swabs from chamois and long shoelaces or paracord, wrapped with solder and heatshrink at the end for weight. I find they are superior to anything offered for sale. And cheaper too.

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,060 Posts
Don't worry about it....it affects nothing at all but your eyes. There are already marks on the inside of the piece so what’s to worry about?
Go play and have fun.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
That’s totally inconsequential. Enjoy playing it!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
There's an easy way to find out, haven't you tried it yet?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had an ebay buyer of a Rousseau Studio jazz complain about the scratches inside it . I was made to refund him but i had never worked on it in any way they were worse than the photo in this post .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,436 Posts
Unusual horizinal lines of the floor of the piece. I wonder if some of their cores are getting worn and old. They look like machine marks but the interriors are not machined on babbitt pieces.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There's an easy way to find out, haven't you tried it yet?
I have tried it, but I can’t tell if it’s the placebo effect or there’s actually a difference. My reeds are also new and the ones I was using before are dead or chipped

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I have tried it, but I can’t tell if it’s the placebo effect or there’s actually a difference. My reeds are also new and the ones I was using before are dead or chipped
I can tell you there is no way this scratch will cause any difference to how your mouthpiece plays. It's so absolutely insignificant, it's not worth a second worrying about it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,376 Posts
It seems that you are really hung up on a “placebo” effect. If you want to manifest positive change, try practicing.

Reeds suck sometimes - that’s why a great one is so much fun. Until it’s not. Iterate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, sorry if this was kind of a stupid question, I just get paranoid easily 😔

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,376 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, sorry if this was kind of a stupid question, I just get paranoid easily 😔
That’s alright, Daniel - especially if it helps you move on.

You’ll feel much worse when you drop your mouthpiece and damage the tip (and yes, it can be fixed). Unless you are truly unlucky, that will only happen once (for me, that was about 25 years ago).

Enjoy your musical path.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts