Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day, on a rare visit to my mother, I was greeted with "Oh, look what I found ..." it's a Evette-Schaeffer Buffet Crampon, K48xxx, the MP says 5RV.
I found this site... but can't quite see where it fits. I'm curious, though. Not for money reasons.

Now (background), I was taught Clarinet for about a year, when I was a kid - so like 45odd years ago - so that's a minimum age of the instrument. I chose clarinet because my Uncle had left one at his sisters (my mothers) house and I could, at least, make it sound. I was, however, bought my own instrument, which I kinda' remember as B&H?... So I think this is my Uncles, but, well, it was a long time ago. I started Alto about 4 years ago on the back of this fact!

Anyway, There was even a reed in the box (^ that old, at least) and, damn me, a tune came out!
I've picked up some fresh reeds (V21, 2.5 because, well, why not; I just got the same on Alto to try) and a fresh pull-through (ahem!). Great fun.
A bit stuffy in the lower register - I'm not holding out much hope for all the pads* - but on the whole, it's pretty good. The old fingering comes back quite naturally, more or less, I need not to mix up embrochures!... and my musicianship has improved, so maybe I'll do the instrument more justice this time.

Any ideas on the things genealogy would be interesting.

cheers,

*Actually, it pass the blow test, so the pads a sealing!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice find, and great fun!

Stuffy im the lower register is pretty normal. Tighten up the embouchure, without pinching the reed too much though. Compared to sax, it's a different game. Make sure the reed is soft enough and go from there. With a little practice, low notes can play extremely soft and smooth.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I think that is a post - 1975 and pre 1978 Evette and Schaffer E13 clarinet. They are really very nice instruments. I have had one from the mid-1960's for about 30 years now. I had is re-padded and use it with a Bakun barrel. It sounds fine and intonation is quite good. Have fun!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,620 Posts
I think that is a post - 1975 and pre 1978 Evette and Schaffer E13 clarinet. They are really very nice instruments.
I think that is about right - a '70s Evette and Schaffer by Buffett, essentially their second level horn, but still a quality instrument. At that time they didn't have so many levels as they do now. I am playing one of those (that I got new in high school, and that I picked out after comparing to other Buffets and Selmers). Very good horn.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a very similar clarinet. Evette Schaffer Modele Buffet Crampon with a K48xxxx serial number. They are essentially a rival to the R13, not at the level of an E13 as most people assume. The rumor is that these Evette Schaeffers are R13s with lesser quality wood, but I'm not sure about that. The intonation and response is great, keywork is comfortable, etc.

I've since upgraded to an RC for a bit more projection and control. But the Evette Schaeffer is a damn fine instrument. Was my main from HS through my senior year of college.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Stuffy in the low notes probably means the instrument has a leak or 20.
I hope you are using a sax embouchure for the sax and a clarinet embouchure for the clarinet.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stuffy in the low notes probably means the instrument has a leak or 20.
maybe. Like I said, the pads on the individual sections - and my fingers - aren't obviously leaking. Maybe the joints, but the middle (clarion) register is sweet...

None the less, as Ekornbakke pointed out... embouchure matters!
I hope you are using a sax embouchure for the sax and a clarinet embouchure for the clarinet.
I recon the trick is to; get a clarinet (or Soprano) stand, sit on it, keep that expression on the face, stick the clarinet in the mouth and blow... :silent:

Still, at some point I'll get it to a tech.
Maybe have 'resonators' fitted to my finger pads - based on discussions elsewhere on SOTW - get obsessed with mouthpices and necks and barrels... probably not, actually.

FWIW: I've plonked for these etudes to get settled in with, which seem nice.
https://alfonscarrascosa.com/pedagogia/
(I have no relation with this site apart from customer)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,267 Posts
Love these clarinets. Would be worth a repad if you end up getting serious. Might also check for cracks (a bummer I know). It depends on where the instrument has been stored. Just bring it back to life gently - play it only 10 or 15 minutes a day the first week or so.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Gordon's right, you have leaks, fingers or pads. Low register shouldn't be noticeably stuffy. Maybe nothing obvious, but the cumulative effect of several minuscule leaks can be poor response. Those are nice horns! Congrats! Treat yourself to a nice gel thumbrest pad.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Neckstraps don't work as well for clarinet as they do for sax, but players who spend several hours a day playing need something besides their thumbs. I remember some older clarinetists whose right thumbs' top joints were permanently bent at an angle from years of heavy playing. Stephen Fox sells a brace that connects the clarinet to your midsection. A little cumbersome, but gives another angle of support that makes the neckstrap more effective. QUOTE=lesacks;3774542]Yeah! I just did!

It's somewhat more fiddly than for the sax as, seems to me, the clarinet is more sensitive to positions. Still, this YouTuber uses a strap, so seems legit.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ClarinetMentors[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Neckstraps don't work as well for clarinet as they do for sax, but players who spend several hours a day playing
Thanks for the thought; but several hours a day is unlikely to ever be me! And, as A Green said, I'm just giving it a little play every day to bring it back to life - it was stuck in a draw for half a century, not to mention my equally dried out technique!
Getting on nicely, though. The lower register is opening up.

As for the neck strap... I warm up without it, just to establish good posture; then use it for the rest, otherwise I'm sure I'd end up with the bell on my knee - which is worse!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Bell on your knee is OK! It helps if you're tall, though, especially if you're playing an A*clarinet. That's my standard playing position.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts