Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to follow the same format as the other absolute reviews as I think this works well and covers all aspects. I'm reviewing the aluminum and slim model bari mouthpieces, alto ST and soprano AL.

Baritone AL 9*

Construction
The finish on this piece is great. It is a large body "pickle barrel" style piece. It comes with a plastic ring ligature which I found to be too big. As I didn't have another lig big enough, I had to fold up some paper and put that under the lig on the top side of the mouthpiece. The interior is a slight rollover baffle into a large oval chamber.

Tone
When I first saw the tip on this piece it thought it would be way too wide for me. I was surprised to find it is quite manageable with the right reed. I settled on a RICO Royal 2.5. The sound is BIG. No thinning up top and not much edge. The wide tip helped reel in the inherent sharpness of the upper register of my YBS-61.

Response
I found this piece easy to articulate. It really allowed me to bark when I wanted it to as well.

Volume
This would be a great piece for jazz combo and big band work. You can also control it enough to use it for concert/symphonic band. You could venture into the rock scene with it, but I feel you would be wishing for a little more edge.

Overall
I think this is a terrific all-rounder Bari piece. Great for pit orchestra work where you need to fit many styles. Excellent for combo and big band work. My only criticism is the ill fitting ring ligature. A rovner or even standard metal would have been a better choice. Overall the Baritone AL 9* is a great, reasonably priced mouthpiece. I highly recommend it.

Baritone SLIM 7*

Construction
The SLIM model is a hard rubber, slim bodied piece. Which is very cleanly finished, and is very light weight. It has a long baffle that drops into a roundish chamber. The internals look very similar to my Jody Jazz DV.

Tone
This piece also has a BIG sound, but with added edge. Not as edgy as my DV, but in between the AL and the DV.

Response
I found this piece very easy to articulate on. You can really get the low notes to punch. It was also great in the upper register.

Volume
This piece is sure easy to play loud, but it also controllable. I wouldn't use it in a symphonic band setting, but it would also work well for pit orchestra work, combo and big band work. You could also take this to a rock gig and be heard without too much effort.

Overall
A great mouthpiece. Probably my pick of the two Bari pieces.

Alto ST 7*

Construction
The ST models have a very interesting outer profile. They remind me of a stealth bomber. They come with a fitted ligature that functions really well, although I found the thumb screw a bit small for my fat fingers. The ST has a medium length, rounded off step baffle that opens into a fairly large, round chamber. The rails and tip rail are very thin and extremely well finished. The shank is a larger bore than all of my other alto pieces, and I found I had to push it all the way on the cork to get close to pitch.

Tone
This piece has a sound somewhere between a Dukoff and a Meyer. A big, fat sound that was not too bright. Very versatile and no thinness. Very much in the jazz, smooth, funk realm.

Response
I found this piece extremely easy to articulate on. No problems. Consistent all over the horn.

Volume
This piece is also easy to play loud, but it also controllable. It could handle everything I had to throw at it.

Overall
This is a really nicely made, very versatile mouthpiece. It would be great for lead in a big band or for jazz combo work. It could also, easily hold it's own in a smooth jazz/funk setting.

Soprano AL 6*

Construction
As with the AL Bari piece, the finish on this piece is great. Nice, very slight rollover into a medium large, roundish chamber. This piece also came with a plastic ring ligature that is too big for it. I swapped it for a rovner which worked fine.

Tone
While I'm more of a very open tip player on sop. I found this piece very warm and round. No nasal quality which some sop pieces get.

Response
Articulation is easy and consistent all over the horn.

Volume
I found the close tip on this piece limited what "pushing" it could handle. It was versatile to a point. I don't think you could compete with electronic instruments with this piece. Having said that, it would well suit most other circumstances.

Overall
The AL soprano mouthpiece is a really well made, easy to play mouthpiece. It would be at home in a classical, concert/symphonic band, small jazz combo or pit orchestra setting. I found it very versatile.

In conclusion, the Absolute Mouthpieces are excellent quality and very reasonably priced. There is a model specifically targeted for most situations, but many of the pieces are versatile enough to be used for varying purposes. I have also found Marco very professional and easy to deal with.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hello danerida, it's been a bit 'of time and I'd like to know if you've had the chance to try our mouthpieces in different contexts, have new impressions you could share?

Thank you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.