Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:treble:

Hi!

I'm new to the sax and I am looking to purchase one. I was wondering what models you recommend?

I'm living in the Philippines right now, so bear in mind that I want something that I can get hold of here but also familiar in the UK which is where I'm from and will be moving back to next year.

My teacher is really keen on me buying a Taiwanese-made Weissenberg as he works very closely with the brand and helps to promote them etc - but it's kind of expensive ($1300) and I can't seem to find much about them online either. I've tried playing it and it sounds really good and feels well-made and sturdy (although as a beginner I'm not entirely sure what to look for when buying)...

I was looking into the Jean Paul AS-400, but open to suggestions and if anyone knows anything about Weissenberg please let me know!

Thanks so much :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
My teacher is really keen on me buying a Taiwanese-made Weissenberg as he works very closely with the brand and helps to promote them etc - but it's kind of expensive ($1300)...
To me it sounds like you need a new teacher. You need someone that is interested in helping you learn music and the sax. Perhaps I'm wrong, but his closeness to the brand and promoting it is open to question. If you didn't buy what he promotes, how would that affect the teaching relationship?

For $1300 you could get a nice used Yamaha or even a new Taiwanese sax with a known good reputation.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Good of you to come here for advice. Lots of knowledge here. When both of my kids were starting out they both started on used Yamaha YAS-23. Solid introductory horn and it should be within your budget. I can't speak to the availability in the PI but they are pretty plentiful here in the states.

·
Registered
820 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
+1 on this, Jay never steers wrong on gear
I have the Jean Paul AS-400 and TS-400 and so far (3 months) they are good players and no issues with the quality (other than mouthpiece)and play better than my VITO (YAS-23) and my boy's school Shooting Stars. Their AS4 and TS4 mouth pieces are very good (I think better than the Yamaha' 4C or 5C). So far, support via online or phone is good. They are sending me a replacement neck for the TS400 due to alignment issues with the octave cup.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
I think you can do better than the Yamaha 23’s that everyone automatically suggests for a beginner.
The Keilwerth ST90 Series II is an excellent horn and available very inexpensively on the used market.
Even the humble Jupiter 500 series are a decent starter horn with great intonation and a very affordable used price tag.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Don't be silly, at $500 the Jean Paul AS-400 has your name on it. A quality (brand new) beginners horn at a great price. I also agree with Arundo, find a new teacher. A good teacher should first be concerned what's in the best interest of his student.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts