Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I'm writing a review of the Italian made Absolute Baritone ST Saxophone mouthpiece, 7* opening (.115). I've played this mouthpiece for a couple hours so far. Here is my initial impression:

Construction
Similar in construction to the soprano piece I reviewed, this baritone mouthpiece is made of stainless steel and produced on CNC machines with hand finishing. The tip, rails, chamber and table look beautiful which can be very hard to do on stainless steel. Someone really put some time into this. There is a somewhat long rollover baffle with a high floor opening up into a large bullet or u-shaped chamber.

A nice feature is that this 'piece came with a custom fit ligature. It's sort of like a Vandoren Optimum but not really. It fits the mouthpiece and reed perfectly. Its great when you don't have to worry about finding a ligature that fits.

Tone
I'm including a short clip below but in words, I feel as though this 'piece has a big tone, with some edge. I recorded a ballad to see how it'd work in that setting. It's not as warm as I'm used to, not that that is a bad thing. I think I could fatten it up with some more time.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-millott%2Feverything-happens-to-me
Response
I settled on a Java 3 that I shaved down to more like a 2.75. After I got comfortable, the 'piece was easy to play and articulation was fairly smooth. I'm sure it'd get even easier the more I got used to it.

Volume
I know I could use this in a commercial setting and probably in a loud jazz setting. You can really fill up a room with sound.

Overall
I think this is a really well made stainless steel bari mouthpiece. It's an especially good value as its CNC, hand finished stainless steel at a very attractive price. If you're interested in Absolute mouthpieces, check out the website: http://www.absolutesax.com/store/

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hello JRMSAX, it's been a bit 'of time and I'd like to know if you kept playing our mouthpieces in different contexts, have new impressions you could share?
Thank you also for the demos that you have published.
Thank you.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've gotten a lot more comfortable on this mouthpiece. It's very versatile and I've used it in various commercial settings (Wedding band, R&B, etc...) and used it in a jazz band. I could use it in a jazz combo but don't think its the best mouthpiece for that setting. I simply have another mouthpiece I like better and think suits that setting better.

If you want a Doc Kupka sound or maybe a Ronnie Cuber sound, this could be a good mouthpiece for you. BTW, as its stainless steel, the mouthpiece still looks great, if that matters to you.

I still think this is a great deal on a hand-finished, stainless steel baritone mouthpiece. I haven't played anything as nice and as meticulously finished at this price point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts