Sax on the Web Forum banner

Absolute Bari Al (Aluminum) and Bs (Slim) Mouthpiece Review

5K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  DavidW 
#1 ·
Here is my review on the aluminum and slim model bari mouthpieces Marco sent me to try out. My initial impression of both were how nicely they were finished. I love the look of the anodized aluminum! I will use the same format JRMSAX used, as I think it works well.

Baritone AL 7*

http://absolutesax.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=86

Construction
This mouthpiece is nicely finished, with a large body (I had a little difficulty finding a lig to fit, as the older "pickle barrel" ligs are too large and the more slim style bari ligs are too small). It might be a nice option to offer a properly fitting lig with the mouthpiece. The one I used was still slightly too large, but good enough for now :)
Tone
The tone for me was very much like reedsburn62's review of the soprano version: like a Selmer Soloist. I intend to use this piece in an upcoming Wind Symphony concert in August.
Response
No problems with a Fibracell or La Voz reed, so the mouthpiece seems to be very flexible for reeds. Easy to play and articulates well.
Volume
I wouldn't use this one on a rock gig, but it should be fine for symphony/concert band or quartet work. For low to moderate volume, this would be a good choice.
Overall
I really like the warmth of the sound of the AL model. I tested it out with a friend who is a retired pro woodwind player and we both agreed this one sounded the best of the several pieces we tried that day (Absolute AL and SL,Florida Link STM, Link TE with added baffle). It will replace my Florida Link for work that doesn't require too much volume. The only recommendation I could suggest for improvement would be to include a ligature, especially one that won't mar that beautiful black finish. This is one of the nicest sounding bari pieces I have ever played, including some much more expensive pieces.

Baritone BS 7

http://absolutesax.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=93

Construction
This mouthpiece is also nicely finished, resin, with a slim body that matches well with alto sax ligatures. It has a moderate baffle dropping off into a round chamber. The shank is fairly large, so a larger neck cork might be needed to fit properly.
Tone
This piece is a little brighter than the AL, with more edge, but still retaining a nice core sound.
Response
Again, no problems with a Fibracell or La Voz reed, so the mouthpiece seems to be very flexible for reeds. Easy to play and articulates well.
Volume
This mouthpiece can get quite a bit louder than the AL and might work well in big bands. I should be able to try it out in that setting, once the band resumes playing in September.
Overall
Excellent mouthpiece for the price.

I tested both piece on a Barone low A bari and will be trying them out on a 1920's Conn, late 50's Buescher, and possibly other baris, if I get them playing again soon (King Super 20, Martin Committee).

See less See more
#6 ·
Well, this isn't the vintage update you might have expected, but I found the Al mouthpiece plays really well on a 1930 Buescher bass sax :) I used it in rehearsal last week and found the intonation was better than the Link STM I had been using. I plan on using the Al on both bari and bass in a concert coming up in the next couple of weeks.

#8 ·
I tried the Al earlier this week on a late 50's Buescher Aristocrat bari (400 style keywork). I really liked the sound, but the mouthpiece would need a longer shank, as it was nearly falling off the neck to play in tune. The later Bueschers had longer necks, so this likely wouldn't be a problem on those.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.