Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...and I have some questions:
1. The serial # is 82xxx yet it has a high f# key. I thought these were introduce much later.

2. Does this look like a relaq?

3. The engraving seems scant compared to other vi's. What might this mean?

4. How much should one expect to pay for this particular horn? I've been researching vi's lately but I this horn seems different so I'm not sure.

5. Is there anything else you guys can tell me about it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
552 Posts
mattbutler said:
...and I have some questions:
1. The serial # is 82xxx yet it has a high f# key. I thought these were introduce much later.

2. Does this look like a relaq?

3. The engraving seems scant compared to other vi's. What might this mean?

4. How much should one expect to pay for this particular horn? I've been researching vi's lately but I this horn seems different so I'm not sure.

5. Is there anything else you guys can tell me about it?

Thanks!
1. High F# keys Where on all serial #'s of mark vi's but where more common after 150,xxx

2. -- the lacquer looks original but I could not tell without seeing it in person-- I also own 2 mark vi's but my favorite is an 88,xxx that has been relacquered -- so lacquer does not matter

3. the horn appears to be a Euro engraved horn -- most of these have high f# keys and a blue " S " on the neck -- the only difference between these and an American engraved mark vi is the engraving

4. I paid $4,000 for my relacquered mark vi and $7,000 for my factory gold plated mark vi --- and 5 digit mark vi's are getting harder to find so expect to pay between $ $4,000 and $6,000 for a 5 digit mark vi .

5. The Case is non-original but other than that it looks like a nice horn and if you could get it for a reasonable price I would buy it .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,228 Posts
I would say that the lacquer on this horn does not match the engraving. The engraving is the European 'Paris' style engraving. So, in my opinion, the horn should have the light color 'clear' lacquer used in Paris when they do final assembly, lacquer, etc. This lacquer looks like it might be an old factory relac done by Selmer in Elkhart, using the American rose lacquer.

As jmm1713 said, the high f# key was offered through the entire mk6 run. My gold plated 58,xxx alto has the old fashioned sba high f# mechanism. My horn is also a Paris assembly.

I really can't suggest a price because I haven't played the horn. To me, the value is in how the horn plays, how it feels in my hands, and how it responds to how I'm feeling musically. It's very interesting looking, but how does it play?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, humans.. one more question:

I just checked out the horn in person and it doesn't have "Mark VI" on the bow ring, is that unusual?

Thanks again...

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yes, 5 digit mark vi's will have the mark vi logo next to the octave key like this

The others will be on the bow .

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again!

I wish I'd known to look there. Honestly, I'm not really feelin' the horn when I played it. It needs work but the price would be a steal. He's going to call me tonight and let me know if the other guy goes for it (he's offering about 700$ more than I am). If the guy doesn't he said he'll lay it on me.

Again, I really appreciate the help...

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Don't buy a horn you aren't really feeling just because it's a VI. There are plenty other horns out there. VI's, conns, bueschers, etc. that are all great horns. Do not think this is your one shot for a VI. There are others.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Not many, but their may be a reason why its $2500, besides it needing an overhaul. I always look at these kinds of deals carefully.
I try to figure out if the person is trusting or not. If they are trusting then it is fine, and probably not stolen.
Like my Yani, I paid her most of the money up front and had it checked out. Called her the next day and told her I wanted the horn, and we meet again I handed over the money. Cash works best for these types of deals. I would do it again in a second!!!

~Carbs

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've talked to him a few times, he knows some of the guys I know on the scene, and I feel pretty good about the integrity of the horn as far as it's origins are concerned. I had 2500$ on me in 100$ bills so, cash it'll be. It definately needs some pad work and I wouldn't mind dropping another 1k on it to get it overhauled. I'm just not sure if I should do it or not. I'm getting a series III toworrow in trade for some work and might also get a Ref 54 (alto and tenor or just alto) out of the deal depending on what the next round of work entails. So, my jones for horns will be satiated for a little while... I just don't want to kick myself for missing the chance nor for actually buying it.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Other deals happen, but man your the one that has to life with whatever descision you choose. Best of luck. Nice set of horns your getting to.

·
Registered
552 Posts
do it and if you do not like it - resell it --- mark vi's are getting harder and harder to find and 2,500 is a good price -- you can make $4,000 or more if you resell it .

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
Grab it, get it sealing well, and play the **** out of it. Somebody else has. It IS a MarkVI and without a doubt worth $2500. The lacquer looks original enough. While I'm not a great fan of MarkVI altos (maybe because they have a certain "whine" or overtone I don't like), you could always trade for something else and and probably get cash back also.

·
2,294 Posts
sideC said:
I would say that the lacquer on this horn does not match the engraving. The engraving is the European 'Paris' style engraving. So, in my opinion, the horn should have the light color 'clear' lacquer used in Paris when they do final assembly, lacquer, etc. This lacquer looks like it might be an old factory relac done by Selmer in Elkhart, using the American rose lacquer.
The lacquer looks original to me. My Paris 82XXX alto has dark laquer, and I've seen other early Euro horns with dark lacquer.

·
2,294 Posts
mattbutler said:
Thanks for the input, humans.. one more question:

I just checked out the horn in person and it doesn't have "Mark VI" on the bow ring, is that unusual?

Thanks again...
Not on a European horn. Only latter, late 60's or so, Paris Selmers had MKVI stamped on them, and that was on the bow/bell ring.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Not to nitpick, but my 94K American engraved alto has the Mark VI logo on the bow ring. I think that Selmer moved the logo somewhere around this time period. Anybody know exactly when?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
Neither my 89xxx, 103xxx or 111xxx Euro VI tenors have anything stamped/engraved on the bell to bow ring. The 89xxx and the 103xxx are original lacquer-the 111xxx is a relacquer. My 231xxx relac US horn has MARK VI stamped on the bell/bow ring.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just talked to him and he said it doesn't have it near the octave mech, either. Should that be a red flag?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts