Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a Holton Collegiate Alto Saxophone.
I don't know this model is pro sax or student sax? Help me, please
Give me some advises, please.
Thanks alot

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
Hello. In the time they were made, Collegiates were Holton's second-line of saxophones. They sold incredibly well.

However, by today's standards, you cannot call them a 'student' or 'beginner' instrument, because they did not really use that term back then.

By today's standards, a Collegiate in good working order is a squarely intermediate horn, if not better.

Well-built, huge sound, very punchy, nice bite and edge. The overtones are a bit less focused than their top models, but I always think of Collegiates as very good 'sleeper' horns (meaning a very good value). They do not have much of a market value these days, maybe $300-350usd in good condition...but they are much better than most contemporary horns selling for 4-5x that much.

Get yourself a nice medium/large-chambered mouthpiece such as a Hite Premier, or a Meyer 5 or 6, or maybe a Vandoren V16-Medium...and she will sound really round and lush !!!

Did you check the serial # ? We can give you an idea as to the date of manufacture.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have a Collegiate tenor from 1950 and am in the process of repadding it. In my opinion they are very good horns.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks JayeSF and Gary59 so much.
I have a Holton tenor 241. It's very good and I like it so much.
:) I hope this Collegiate Alto Sax will be the same.
Now I'm waiting seller ship it to me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes, indeed they are decent intermediate style horns that a deliver great sound when properly adjusted!
I have worked on a couple of them and both sounded well.
saxmanrepairs.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1925- 26 Holton collegiate alto saxophone my mother bought on Beale street in Memphis in 1973 it needs to be repadded the neck has a bend in it but I want to know if someone is interested in buying it because I had a stroke and can't play anymore. I don't know the value but my mother paid 450.00 in 1973.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,768 Posts
I have a 1925- 26 Holton collegiate alto saxophone my mother bought on Beale street in Memphis in 1973 it needs to be repadded the neck has a bend in it but I want to know if someone is interested in buying it because I had a stroke and can't play anymore. I don't know the value but my mother paid 450.00 in 1973.
Hi Kieth. Sorry to hear of your health condition. Welcome to Sotw. You can still enjoy the website even though you're not playing. Lots of good conversation.
As far as your saxophone inquiry. Your post is borderline "for sale" listing. there are rules against this. The for sale section is not available to you until you have met the requirements.
I've sent you a private message.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts