Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please tell me you can buy these somewhere. They're gorgeous. I need some.... :shock:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no idea. Possibly my Zephyr, if I can actually find some. I was inspired after seeing a Bach kit for abalone trumpet buttons this weekend. :)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Try contacting Mauriat and see if they sell those as replacement parts. Only problem is they will be limited in sizes and may or may not fit your instrument without alteration, especially if you need one larger than they can offer in the round sizes. Larger "pearls" can be carefully taken down in size to fit the pearl cup, but I'd get a few spares in case they chip, shatter, of flake. Does your Zeph have the palm key or aux. F# 1/2 pearls secured to the key by the brass post in the middle? If so, those will be the most difficult to emulate. Making matters worse is if you have a completely oval G# or aux. F# pearl which some instruments have. If you're just interested in the main stack keys, it shouldn't be that difficult.

Since you can buy sheets of MOP/abolone from Stewart-McDonald in the guitar-making industry, and if you can find someone to custom cut/shape the material for you, that might be the easiest way. Here's a link to the pearl sheets; http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Inlay,_pearl/Blanks.html
Good luck!

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
258 Posts
Hi Zephyr,
The T.K. Melody saxophones come standard with these key touches, and as a distributor for them I can ask if I can buy a set for you. As somebody mentioned here they may not fit your sax perfectly, but if you really want them I can try.

Terje.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Use fingernail polish for those horrid nails.
How about the "stone" touches used on Cannnballs, any one know of their availability.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,404 Posts
I have several sets of replacement pearls for the Mauriat Saxophones here. If you need some you are welcome to contact me. Or, even better, contact Rich @ MusicMedic.com

Rich is the guy that does all of our special orders and such.

Best of luck!

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
If you have to trim shell to size, be aware that shell dust is extremely damaging to lungs. Protect yourself accordingly.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,471 Posts
Hi Zephyr,
The T.K. Melody saxophones come standard with these key touches, and as a distributor for them I can ask if I can buy a set for you. As somebody mentioned here they may not fit your sax perfectly, but if you really want them I can try.

Terje.
I can personally vouch for the T.K. abalone key touches for saxophone being of high quality, and very bright blue/turquoise. I own two T.K. Melody horns with abalone touches and they are visually stunning, and so are the horns.

B:cool:

·
Registered
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
4,776 Posts
I have several sets of replacement pearls for the Mauriat Saxophones here. If you need some you are welcome to contact me. Or, even better, contact Rich @ MusicMedic.com

Rich is the guy that does all of our special orders and such.

Best of luck!
Oops missed your post, Well I'm also putting your name out :D.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts