Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thumbs up for this soprano piece from Aaron Drake. I got the 7 (65 tip) and with a Rico Select 2H it feels just about perfect and is weaning me off my old Soloists. Very full palm keys and low notes. Nice versatile tone quality and beautiful finish. The best modern soprano piece I've had.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thumbs up for this soprano piece from Aaron Drake. I got the 7 (65 tip) and with a Rico Select 2H it feels just about perfect and is weaning me off my old Soloists. Very full palm keys and low notes. Nice versatile tone quality and beautiful finish. The best modern soprano piece I've had.
Been awhile since you posted this, and from the lack of responses can only assume there still are not many who personally are familiar with or have tried out this mpc. I purchased one from Aaron last year in a 5 tip (.055) after also trying out a 6 tip at the same time. Loved the sound of the size 6, but the tip was just too open for me at the time. Acquired a 2nd 'Son of Slant' a few months ago in a 7 tip, like you. What a revelation with my Yani SC-902. Now has just the right amount of resistance (perfect to push up against) w/ Rigotti 2 1/2 medium reed......a big punchy, darkish sound w/definition, great response/control, and intonation is excellent for me.

FYI, have put aside both my Selmer Soloist E and my Morgan Vintage 5, both great pieces, but neither giving me quite what I had been looking for.

'museman'

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,312 Posts
I also owne a Son Of Slant by A.Drake.
It is the 7 (65).
Just beautifull dark tone.
When you listen to Bob Shepard sound clip,it is exactly the same,If you are after that particular sound that I personal love on sop.
Reminds me of my old Slant I had,but dearly missed.
It plays easy and very much in tune !
All the best
Saxobari

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am still loving this piece. I haven't been playing much soprano at all but I use it on my King saxello. I think this piece is just about perfect. Aaron just makes very good sax mouthpieces. I have this morning received a Theo Wanne Gaia in a 65 so it will be interesting to compare these two pieces.

·
3,312 Posts
Allo Micheal
First thanks for sharing your experience on that sop mpc and after talking to you,I did ordered from Aaron Drake that Son Of Slant model,,which is just GREAT!!
So please,let me know what you think of the Gaia also..
Thanks
Mario

·
Registered
721 Posts
I just got a Drake Son of Slant from Saxofoonwinkel in Holland (cheaper and very much quicker for UK than via the USA), and it is everything that people here say it is. The best soprano mouthpiece if you want power but without too much edge and nasal quality. It is way better in the upper register than all my other favourite soprano pieces. Interestingly, I had always been wary of large chamber and thought squeeze chamber had to be the way to go. But I actually find control and intonation easier on both the Aizen and the Drake (both large chamber), because they force you to open up and put lots of air, especially into higher notes. The Drake really is a stand out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi guys, sorry for the repetition if you've seen the other posts, but I wanted to express my thoughts on a few different posts about these pieces. Here ya go!

the SOS soprano mouthpieces are very unique and have what I feel to be a very complex and flexible sound. This is a truly artistic mouthpiece for me and different areas of the horn will have slightly different colors. Overall I feel the sound is a bit more "spread;" not necessarily darker, but this is a matter of perception and opinion. I play both the SOS soprano piece as well as the jazz model, and I find the jazz model has a bit more center and focus to the sound, while the SOS is almost exactly the opposite (in a good way). Once you learn to play these large chamber pieces its amazing what kind of a sound you can get out of them compared to a medium or small chamber. The following link is to a youtube video (no video, just audio) of me playing the Drake SOS soprano piece with a Yamaha YSS-62 soprano.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsDt2hD1hhE

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi docrob -
Actually, I didn't start playing any tenor until college. I started on alto when I was around 10 years old, and I think I was playing soprano by the time I was 14.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
1,213 Posts
I receive one a #7 (.065"), the finish are excellent, small but nice touch like 2 more bite plate protector in the box. I can't call it dark, it is spread with a nice edge, not edgy, and it is even from top to bottom. The articulation are excellent and the piece with my conn soprano really sing, big sound, it is very free blowing, effortless and easy to control. I play long time with a large chamber Meyer NY 4M refaced to .065", I have like it very much, but this one are a step above. Why pay so much for an original? This is a real bargain. I try it with vandoren java 2 1/2 reed and with the Drake lig that come with and also an older François Louis brass lig for metal tenor (it fit). the sound and articulation with the drake lig where not convincing, I dont feel it sound good, but with the FL...God! The sound open more and with a nice vibrance and the respons are instantly, very impressive. The Drake lig are very round with no rail like the one I have with my Drake bari piece, I think this aspect make a difference because i like it better with the bari. The son of slant are truly, a realy good tool for sculpting the sound, inspiring!
Thanks

·
3,312 Posts
I feel the very same as Avan here about the soprano mpc.
Man it s a real deal for the money.
Also the ligature that comes with it really does nt work best with it,that is my only desapointment about this purchase ,but I love this sop mpc!
Now I have to get a FL lig for it too!I am really stock with a broken Selmer ligature meanwhile,the bottom screw is striped!
So the FL tenor metal fits perfect,and brings this mpc to a even better result ,wowww !
Thanks
Ill be after one then!
Best regards
Saxobari

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
1,213 Posts
Maybe I have to tame my word about the lig this morning. I retry it and it work better, maybe the placement ... a reed shift.... The sound remain more tame than the FL and the sound are more nasal, but the articulation are also very good. The FL lig for metal tenor fit but not perfectly, I have somewhere a Fl for soprano that I have to retreive, if i can remember where I store it. Regardind lig for it I also try an inverted Bonade, a BG super revelation, and also A Fred Lebayle metal lig with one screw on the top and a rubber plate. The Bonade make the sound more centered close to the feeling of a squeezed throat piece but with a big sound and very good control, It could be transitional if you find the large chamber too spread. The old fred Lebayle are one of my favorite, but i'm not sure you can find it anymore. The BG are best of both world, very good control but the sound remain large and articulation are very very good and also the sound are very rich and full. Te Fl remain the most free blowing but boy everything rattle.... My favorite for now are the super revelation.

·
3,312 Posts
Thanks Avan for such good review on the ligature issue here.
All the best
Mario!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've bought a SOS #7 a week ago. Very good piece. At first I had an issue with squeaks in the palm keys, but that disappeared after I pushed the reed a little more forward to the tip than I'm used to on other pieces. The tip rail on the Drake is very thin, but when the reed covers it completely and precisely, those squeaks don't occur. I use it with the FL soprano lig which works fine. Sound and flexibility are excellent anyway, as others have mentioned before.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts