Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

First of all, I want to thank the SOTW audience for their insights and for the wonderful responses to our mouthpiece line. I really hope that I do not come off as someone "pushing" products and services. We have had many inquiries about our proprietary facing curves used on our line of mouthpieces. And, it seems there is an interest in this refacing service and our new Ceramic Inlays, so I would like to put it out there for everyone to check out. Here is the info and some links. Many thanks!!

I am pleased to announce that I am offering a mouthpiece refacing service. In addition to offering a refacing service for Hard Rubber, Resin, Wood, Brass, Bronze, and Silver mouthpieces, I am also offering our new Ceramic Tone Booster Inlays ™

If you want to experience the acoustic benefits of the our Ceramic material, we now have the capacity to custom fit any mouthpiece with these special inlays.

Background

First of all, I am a saxophonist with Bachelor and Master Degrees in Performance from the Eastman School of Music. I feel its important to mention, so that people understand that much of the knowledge and conclusions I have arrived at are through my studies and performance of the Saxophone. Although mathematical accuracy is of extreme importance, how the mouthpiece plays is of most critical concern. My feeling is that, once all of the measurements are completely accurate and numerically balance, there are some additional adjustments, and that is where the artistry is.

In 1990 I began my journey into the science of mouthpieces. I started out refacing my own mouthpieces and began compiling notebooks full of facing curve measurements of hundreds of vintage mouthpieces. In addition to logging the facing curves, I also compiled detailed measurements and interior diagrams.

What goes into a Refacing Job?

Answer:

I start each refacing by photographing your mouthpiece when it arrives. I use this photo to show you the before and after. The facing is then measured and charted. Then the table is flatten and the facing is made even and symmetrical, and bumps or imperfections are removed. At this point our proprietary facing curve is adapted. You can choose from short, medium, or long facings. The baffle is them adjusted to optimize the air flow and the tip is contoured to match the reed profile. (please include the reed(s) you want for the tip shape, or I can apply the universal shape used for our mouthpieces.

Ceramic Inlay

Each inlay is shaped by hand to match the contour of your mouthpiece and then fired in the kiln at temperatures exceeding 2000 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 – 12 hours.

· The porcelain inlay helps to center the tone, while providing added volume
capabilities, and it is designed not to contridute any harshness to the tone.

· The low thermal conductivity of the porcelain helps to maintain stable intonation and balanced overtones.

· The semi-porous nature of the porcelain also contributes an absorbent quality, which helps to cut down on moisture collection in the mouthpiece.

Customer must send the mouthpiece to us for fitting and application.

The application of these inlays involves adhesion using a two part epoxy. So, please understand that this is a perminant process, much like the addition of a resin or epoxy baffle. We recommend a trial with a mouthpiece that is not your “number one” piece. Please have a close look at the sample picture (attached). These inlays are applied to the floor of the mouthpiece, not to the baffle, and range from .5mm to 3mm in thickness. They function best with concaved floor slope, rollover baffle mouthpieces such as – Otto Link (Metal or HR) Brillhart (HR – most models) Meyer (HR) and other similar.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts