Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good news! For me AND you ;)

Aaron Drake has resumed making metal mouthpieces! When I heard this, I jumped over to his website and saw that he's currently offering a metal alto mouthpiece (Studio Jazz) and, on tenor, the Stubbie is back as well! I promptly ordered the Stubbie and received it less than 2 weeks later! The piece comes with a beautiful mouthpiece bag, a rovner style ligature and cap with Drake logo on it, and a carry/storage case. This is one fun metal mouthpiece to play, great highs and a fat bottom. Very flexible too, it can easily be played with a darker jazz sound or you can easily blow it bright into a "Brecker-like" tone. And compared to some other metal mouthpieces out there, much more affordable at $585 shipped (in the US). Don't fret over looking for the old Drake metals anymore, they can be hard to find BECAUSE they are great that's true. Just go to Aaron's site and order a brand new one of your very own! His customer service skills are good-he actually answers emails unlike some who shall remain unnamed (at least by me), AND...he has a return policy (a good thing to have when one is parting with upwards of $500 bucks). Anyway, give these a try! He will be re-releasing other metals as well (see his Facebook) but for now, the Stubbie is where it's at!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
Interesting, and good news for all I think. I hope he has fixed the issue I've seen on the older pieces with the sub-par plating.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Interesting, and good news for all I think. I hope he has fixed the issue I've seen on the older pieces with the sub-par plating.
Agreed, I owned one of his metal pieces before and it was a fun piece, I mean a really fun piece with lots of dynamic range and a thick, medium bright tone, but the plating was absolutely awful. It wore off quickly and the piece started to turn green. It turned my reeds green, tasted awful, and smelled bad despite me cleaning it very well after playing.

A word of warning, his metal pieces are very thin so be extra careful with them.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. It looks like he does sterling silver, then plates with 24k gold. Wasn’t the plating thing why he stopped the metals for all those years?

·
4,580 Posts
Thanks for the input. It looks like he does sterling silver, then plates with 24k gold. Wasn’t the plating thing why he stopped the metals for all those years?
I'm not sure why he stopped, I just know every used one that has come up for sale used comes along with "Plating loss is cosmetic only, plays great!"

·
7,906 Posts
I noticed these a few weeks back on Instagram.
I believe he is offering more tip opening options this time also.
I hope he revisits the Griffin pieces.
Ive had a few of his pieces and every one of them was awesome.
Facings were all perfect and very reed friendly.
Both HR and metal pieces.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts