Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a relatively cheap professional model, as I still use a very basic beginners sax and have got to the point when I just need a new one. Read good reviews of both. Want to get either Yamaha YAS62II or a Yanagisawa A901 Black lacquer. Advice and help please?

Nick

·
Registered
92 Posts
Don't forget that some great used horns exist! And play them first.

As for those two horns, they're both good. A few of the frequenters in the Yamaha forum swear by the 62 over the customs, while I haven't heard anything bad about the 901. I liked the 62II that I tried out a few weeks ago, but didn't try a 901 parsay, but really liked the Yani 991 (which from what I understand is very comparable).

I don't think you could go wrong with either in the long run, but I would try to play them first, or if you live in a situation where you can't, try to find a place that will let you have the horns on trial. And again, used horns can get you more for your money if you're shrewd (there was/is a used B&S 2001 series alto floating in the sellers forum for a good price last time I checked...)

Good luck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,301 Posts
I'd probably take any Yanagisawa over any Yamaha, but recognize that one example of a Yamaha may be superior. You should probably play them both, then decide. DAVE

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I've tried both and both are truly outstanding horns, as good as (and sometimes better than) the top-of-the-line models.

The only reasons to go with one or the other are ergonomics and comfort, and that's up to you. Easy now, right? ;)

Actually, considering the rather large price difference between the Yamaha 62 and the Yanagisawa 901, I would go with the 901. The 62 goes for at least $2200 these days (after a cursory check) while the Yanagisawa can be had for $1795 at www.kesslermusic.com. A real bargain!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
I play a Yani 880. A guy I went to college had a 82Z unlacquered. We traded for a week to see if maybe we'd like to trade permanently. In the end, I liked the Yani more and he like the Yamaha. I liked the overall tone and ergonomics. He liked the power of the Yamaha. I know this doesn't help much. But it just means that Yanagisawa and Yamaha both make great horns and different people will prefer one over the other.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,665 Posts
As several members have said, you can't go wrong with either the 62 or 901.

BUT, unless you must have to have a Japanese horn, I would encourage you to look at the sale section: Bighunk is selling a fine-looking Buescher Top-Hat-and-Cane (its best model) alto for $1900.

Too bad I don't play alto! ;-(

·
Registered
455 Posts
As others have said they're both great horns. It's like choosing between a Toyota Camry and a Honda Accord. Just a matter of taste. I've tried those models and presently own other models of those brands. I would go for the Yamaha.
My observations; "preferred tone", better laquer and build quality and higher resale value. Ergonomics and action essentially the same. Mike

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
M Exner said:
As others have said they're both great horns. It's like choosing between a Toyota Camry and a Honda Accord.
The Honda-Toyota camparison is a good one. No matter how rational we consider ourselves, the final purchase decision has an emotional aspect.

Toyota-Honda and Yamaha-Yanagisawa offer parallel choices. Toyota builds excellent cars, a lot of them, and a lot of different models. They strike me as a production-driven company. Honda was started by one individual. They are an engineering-oriented company. They sell fewer cars and offer fewer models. The Camry stresses ride over handling. The Accord, while having a good ride, puts more emphasis on handling. Both great cars, just slightly different orientation.

Yamaha builds almost everything, and they build them well. Yanagisawa builds only saxophones. That is not just their focus, it's their reason for being. The quality of the two is similar. Seems to me that passion is on the side of Yanagisawa.

Everyone has valid reasons for their choices. I choose Yanagisawa and Honda, just because I feel an emotional tie between me and those products. That's because I have an image (rightly or wrongly) that Yani and Honda are emotional about what they make, while Yamaha and Toyota are emotional only about money.

This may well be irrational, but we are all affected by image and emotion.

·
Registered
137 Posts
How did I know that a Yanagisawa would be a Honda?

In any case, when you're trying them out, it would be wise to see if they are properly set up and such...I tried a friend's YAS-62II that he bought from our local music shop and the action was stiffer than a 2x4. I just couldn't give the horn a fair rap because I had such a hard time playing it. Same with my own horn until yesterday when it came back from the shop.

Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies. Gonna try and try em both. But seems ill probably be choosin the Yani anyway. also its the only (decent) low end pro model I can get in black lacquer.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
asaxman said:
Why black laq?
Because they LOOK cool! :rr:

Personally, I don't like the look of the Yanagisawa black-lacquered horns. They just don't look right. Yamahas on the other hand... :headbang:

Go with an A901 in unlacquered. Might be 5-6 months before you get it but certainly worth the wait.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sorry for postin 2 posts one after the other...

SaxyAcoustician said:
Because they LOOK cool! :rr:

Personally, I don't like the look of the Yanagisawa black-lacquered horns. They just don't look right. Yamahas on the other hand... :headbang:

Go with an A901 in unlacquered. Might be 5-6 months before you get it but certainly worth the wait.
I agree the yamaha black lacquered horns look better but you can only get the customs in black which are way too expensive and I don't even need a sax like that at the moment. Jus need a nice decent lowend pro model. Why should i get unlacquered?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
For the price savings I would go with the Yani 901 in regular lacquer. I was disappointed in the look of black lacquered saxes(especially Yani's)ever since I owned several black nickel keilwerths. The black nickel looks sooo much cooler!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts