Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
Soprano: 1983 Keilwerth Toneking Schenklaars stencil
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ran into this topic linked from the Borgani site. They apparently made an A4=432Hz tenor for a customer. There's a lot of information on this blog I thought it was interesting and worth sharing.

http://www.roelhollander.eu/en/432-tuning/432-foreword/

It's almost a continuation or counterpoint of the pi-based octave equal temperament tuning system mentioned on the Just-Temperament-versus-Equal-Temperament thread on this forum and some of the discussion in that thread.

Here are the addresses if the above links are not working.
http://www.roelhollander.eu/en/432-tuning/432-foreword/
http://chernov-trezin.narod.ru/ZS_1_borbat.htm
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?197108-Just-Temperament-versus-Equal-Temperament

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What would one do with it?
That's what the various blogs and other discussion on the topic goes into. I guess one could form of group of 432-tuned instruments and reach Nirvana.

I am not a proponent. I just thought it was information worth consideration.

It is within the realm of possibility that our current standards could evolve. I mean a little over 100 years ago the dominant standards were other than A4=440, and should we mention Europe today. 110, 220, 440, 880 Hz octaves were good for analog students, but digital student don't mind decimals. The pi-based octaves article implies that the Hertz scale is off a bit. If acoustic academicians and physicists agreed, a whole new musical system would develop. It might take 100 or 200 years, but with the fast pace of technological change, it could start happening in 5 or 10 years.

Nothing is set in stone.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Never going to happen. Let's touch base again in 100 or 200 years see who was right.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,261 Posts
I am not a proponent. I just thought it was information worth consideration.
It isn't. It's a nonsense conceived by a supposed 'think-tank' which has been described as a dangerous cult. The idea that 432 is more natural than 440 is false. Musical frequencies don't slot into a neat numerical system because frequencies stretch. Where ever you put the frequencies there will be others that don't match. We've settled the compromise of equal temperament that works for the most part. Tunable instruments can adjust to play more even intervals but that is in itself a compromise.

In order to adopt 432 you'd have to ditch or adapt all the current instruments - for what? Come on chaps, melt down your MkVIs because some charlatan thinks a Nazi imposed 440 tuning on us and 432 will heal the world. Yeah, right.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, thanks for warning me off. The blog I reference says he avoids all the mystical stuff. I don’t know much about the 432 tuning. Concerning evolution, I was actually thinking of the Pi-based octaves or something else potentially changing the way we think about music.

Changes in the music industry do happen, and we do abandon old instruments. You’ve heard of High Pitched Tuning and all of the HP instruments that adorn restaurants walls and garbage dumps. And, as much as we love vintage instruments, almost no professionals use instruments more than 80 years old and few more than 50 years old.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
How about all the geniuses that claim they have perfect pitch (based on A=440)?
The 440-basis of their perfect pitch was a result of training/conditioning. That can be re-taught.

Pitches in different countries were all over the place until performing musicians started travelling the world and playing where the local standard was different from that of where their instrument came from. So a meeting was held and 440 was decided as the world standard. No reason whatsoever to change that, unless for commercial gain, some instrument maker wants players to replace all their instruments.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,382 Posts
I was actually thinking of the Pi-based octaves or something else potentially changing the way we think about music.
From the sketchy information I read, it is not as revolutionary as it seems. Many instruments (like violin) tend to go sharper on the high register and it often sounds pretty normal.
The big change would be on piano and electronic instruments tuning

Tuning is always some kind of approximation. Which approximation is more pleasant to hear is a cultural matter.

A=432 is the official tuning fork in area51, by the way.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Octaves are 'based on' harmonics.
Yes, based but there are other issues...

... Many instruments (like violin) tend to go sharper on the high register and it often sounds pretty normal...
Perhaps that is to tune with pianos, where the octaves are almost always tuned stretched. That is because the second overtone of any note is uncomfortably sharp, and clashes with the string which has that as its fundamental. The sharpness is because of the unavoidable stiffness of the string where it crosses the bridges.

I would have thought that violin tuning depended on where one chose to put one's finger. The strings are not stiff and very tight like piano strings are.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
selmer 26 nino, 22 curved sop, super alto, King Super 20 and Martin tenors, Stowasser tartogatos
3,402 Posts
I think the idea that certain frequencies are more magical or mystical or "natural" or whatever is complete nonsense. Is there a magic height or magic length or magic weight? All a complete crock.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,532 Posts
Pitch is something makers have changed quite a bit. They always had their reasons and the main one has been to make instruments that are in tune in themselves. The 432 pitch is something that us being revisited. Its very interesting and I personally would like to get my hands on suck a tenor and play it for a while before I decide how if its worthwhile...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.