Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey members,
I have had the privledge to hear Pete all weekend with a swing quintet with John Allred on Trombone. Jennifer leitham bass, Johnny Varro Piano and Vince Bartells drums. That guy can play!! He and Allred had never played together beefore and you wouldn't know it. Great players don't need rehearsal. Anyway, he was playing a Cannonball Vintage Him ( Pete Christlieb model) He has played the current one into the ground (Pads shot) and will be getting another from Tevis soon. I know most here are still dismissive toward anything other than a Selmer. Pete proves once again, its the player that creats the sound and generates the ideas, the horn is only an amplifier. My point? Hit the shed and play what works for you, not what the so called experts on the forum say is "The best horn ever". BTW, Pete is a very nice guy. We were able to hang out a bit, and he gave me an education about who was responsible for destroying all the Mark VI tooling and he still shakes his head. What a weekend, and it aint over. I am headed out the door for one more Pete show, then I get to play a four hour gig.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,354 Posts
I'm sure that will be an inspired gig !
Only heard Christlieb live once but his tone and playing caught my attention long before that on the Nighthawks at the Diner album ( Tom Waits) and his solo on Steely Dan's Deacon Blues. Once you have a tone and playing abllity like that it's totally unimportant what horn you play on.
I'm sure Christlieb would sound great on any decent working tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
Lucky you. I like his playing. So, tell us the story about who destroyed the Mark VI tooling.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've sat with Pete in rehearsal bands while he's playing his Cannonball Tenor, and I can attest that you instantly know that it is Pete Christlieb playing. On the Cannonball, Pete's sound is very close to what he gets out of his Selmer. Pete said that he had to go through many necks to find the right one for the horn. In any event, that guy is a monster, and would likely sound great while playing any horn!

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
I grew up digging Pete's playing before I even knew who he was. I remember listening to these great tenor solos when the Johnny Carson show came back after the commercials and just hating it when the band had to cut off. I wish he would make a ballad album some day like Coltrane, Cannonball, and others did. No one plays a ballad better than Pete IMO.

I got to hear Pete solo with the BYU Jazz Ensemble last year. He sounded incredible even though he had just picked up that particular horn that morning.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I'm another big fan. I also remember his great work with the Doc Severinson Band and loved his tone with Tom Waits. His solo on Steely Dan's Deacon Blues sure seems to fit the lyrics as Pete has certainly "learned to play the saxophone" and seems to play just what he feels. Is he still using the same setup (A pretty open Berg with a fairly soft rico plasticover I think)?Although I don't perform at the same level Pete does, I also now have a modern horn that is not affilated with the famous manufacturers of yesteryear and love it. Love his sound! I would also be interested in learning more about the destruction of the Mark VI tooling...

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm another big fan. I also remember his great work with the Doc Severinson Band and loved his tone with Tom Waits. His solo on Steely Dan's Deacon Blues sure seems to fit the lyrics as Pete has certainly "learned to play the saxophone" and seems to play just what he feels. Is he still using the same setup (A pretty open Berg with a fairly soft rico plasticover I think)?Although I don't perform at the same level Pete does, I also now have a modern horn that is not affilated with the famous manufacturers of yesteryear and love it. Love his sound! I would also be interested in learning more about the destruction of the Mark VI tooling...
He does play with aBerg and a plasticover

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The last gig today was awesome!! They were all killin it. John Allred was spectacular, hell they all were. Again, I can't stress enough that Pete is a regular guy without pretense and a great since of humor too.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Thanks for sharing Bill. I've always loved Pete's sound and playing and I am envious for sure. In a perfect world, Pete would be paid well as the consumate professional he always seems to be and I would be able to afford to see him any time I like! I'm still buyin' lottery tickets here...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
Never heard him live so far. But always loved his powerful playing, immediately recognizable. He has that real tenor sound. Whatever that means.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
Yes, the Deacon Blues solo is a classic and I can listen to it over and over.
I was lucky enough to see him playing live in NZ when he visited us a few years back.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
He plays on 2 of my favorite Louie Bellson BB albums: "Explosion" & "150 mph"

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
When I was in college I attended a master class put on my Pete. Great teacher, player, and very entertaining! His stories about drag racing are classics too.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Those Cannonball horns are actually VERY nice. I've had a few students (both alto and tenor) that played 'em and yes.......I did try them out! Christlieb is one of the truly under-appreciated players of the last 30+ yrs. He's just quietly played his arse off since the what.......70's?!

John

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
The unfortunate truth of playing jazz for a living is that often the only thing you get for playing your *** off is the realization you now have no where to sit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts