Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya everyone,
Recently i did some jams , and i was told as a tip to play a little smoother on some songs . and yes i think i need to cause now i need to learn a way to play smoother on songs and ballads etc
Any tip and feedback are welcome i'm open to everything

thanks .

·
Premium Member
11,596 Posts
Hi,

Do you mean smoother in terms of volume or in terms of tone colour?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Drop the vibrato, and do long tones.

Record yourself and listen to it afterwards.
Do it at FFF too, as most people tend to use more power on the stage.

Evil self test: Ave Maria without vibrato.

Oh, and some player, reed, mpc, sax combos tend to scream. Equipment is not everything, but ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
29,602 Posts
Heya everyone,
Recently i did some jams , and i was told as a tip to play a little smoother on some songs . and yes i think i need to cause now i need to learn a way to play smoother on songs and ballads etc
Any tip and feedback are welcome i'm open to everything

thanks .
A sound bite might help....

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,687 Posts
I'm just taking a wild guess, but I'd bet that (like most of us) you need to shed a lot more hours on the basic fundamentals of playing the sax. Articulation, long tones, scales, intervals, keeping a steady tempo, and 'smooth' execution of all of that. It takes a long time and a lot of practice. And, ironically, it takes a long time just to realize that. You can't run before you can walk, and you can't walk before you can crawl.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
I'm just taking a wild guess, but I'd bet that (like most of us) you need to shed a lot more hours on the basic fundamentals of playing the sax. Articulation, long tones, scales, intervals, keeping a steady tempo, and 'smooth' execution of all of that. It takes a long time and a lot of practice. And, ironically, it takes a long time just to realize that. You can't run before you can walk, and you can't walk before you can crawl.
This sums it up pretty well. There will be times when you feel like your playing is getting pretty good. As you put more years in you have revelations of how bad you actually are. That's ok though it keeps us practicing. As long as you are having fun and getting better life is good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts