Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Banned
6,392 Posts
Hi all
hope y'all doing well , recently i've been confronted with a little problem : sometimes my fingers feels so stiff that my way to finger becomes so bad...and hello false notes .
i really need a way to relax my fingers .so that my playing remains steady

Thx.
Visualization and SLOW practice.

Put a very slow metronome on and play scales, patterns, licks and improvisation with as little finger movement as possible. Feel every key you're pushing, befriend gravity and spring action. The only way to do this successfully is to be relaxed.

Then when you're away from the horn, imagine yourself fingering what you practiced during the day. You need to generate a strong mental image of the slow, but precise and relaxed movement. You can do this at night, when you get in bed. It's also a great technique to boost your capacity for learning new stuff.

Repeat for a few months... seriously. It will probably take some time as you're trying to re-program your brain.

· Banned
6,392 Posts
Also - this has helped me in other matters on the horn - if the idea of s l o w practice seems bothersome or torturous or that it will last forever, let go of that judgment. Don't think of it as rolling the rock up the mountain; you'll hate it. Think of it as something you just do a bit of daily...no pressure for success in the moment...just a little time being at peace with your horn.
Yeah, just like long tones. I frequently find myself in semi trance state of mind while doing long tones or slow fingering stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.