Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is an old tenor mouthpiece, gold plated brass, probably from the early 1930s. On the back it says 78/PAT. JUNE 23-1925/JULIUS NEUMANN.MAKER.CHICAGO.ILL.
It has a Lawton-type ligature and a reed guard that swings down out of the way when the mouthpiece is in use.
The mouthpiece has a unique "coke bottle" shape, slimmer in the center. Both the mouthpiece and reedguard are hand engraved. It's a custom mouthpiece because it has the initials of the owner engraved on the back.
It came with a Selmer "Super" tenor from the early 1930s.
It plays a lot like an older New York Otto Link - not surprising because the chamber configuration is similar. Large chamber, hollow, concave sidewalls, and a short, shelf-like baffle near the tip.
It produces a HUGE sound for a mouthpiece with a chamber this big.
I love it, but I know nothing about it. HELP!!!

My MYSPACE MUSIC page:

http://www.myspace.com/saxpsychosis

·
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
benjamin1979 said:
Whats that connecting the lig?
The ligature slides on like a Lawton or Sugal (or an early Master Link), and then a screw holds it in place. Reeds are changed without removing the ligature. The swiveling reed guard has a thumb screw to adjust the tension that holds it either open or closed.

The marking on the mouthpiece obviously identifies the maker. The Chicago location would lead one to think there might be an association with Kaspar or Goldbeck. But the mouthpiece has almost nothing in common with Goldbeck, and the two pieces were probably made at the same time.

I'm just surprised that I've never seen another one of these, not even a photo. Everything is extremely well made.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Nefertiti: It may be that elusive piece, the original holy grail piece, the "Amma Wanne B".

·
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dr_sax said:
So, how does it play?
Like a really good old New York Otto Link. There's lots of depth, and the little short "shelf" in the baffle near the tip provides more center and a little edge.

I usually use really big tips on tenor mouthpieces, around .120". This piece is only about .080" (Like a Link 5), but I could use it on all but the loudest gigs.

My MYSPACE MUSIC page:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hello Randy et al!
How funny! I just got sent one of these mouthpieces for some work, the very first time I've even seen one or even heard the name. The one I was sent does not have the ligature or reed guard with it. I absolutely love the "hourglass" figure of it, first time I've seen this on a metal piece. It has a huge chamber, perhaps even bigger than a Master Link, with a decent size rollover baffle in it. I haven't been able to play it yet as it's missing the bite plate and I haven't started in on it yet. This one has been reworked about 8 years ago by Charles Bay, opened up to .110", his signature and date are below the table. I called Mr. Bay last week to ask him about this piece, he vaguely remembered the name and design, and said he would try to look up his notes on the piece and get back with me if he found anything out. Unfortunately, that's all I know.
Brian

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That's an interesting piece I would like to add to the Mouthpiece Museum. Incidentally, I was looking for concave side rails mouthpieces today, which are hard to find.

Can you make more pics and send them to me (info AT mouthpiecemuseum.com)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
saxtek said:
This is an old tenor mouthpiece, gold plated brass, probably from the early 1930s. On the back it says 78/PAT. JUNE 23-1925/JULIUS NEUMANN.MAKER.CHICAGO.ILL.
It has a Lawton-type ligature and a reed guard that swings down out of the way when the mouthpiece is in use.
The mouthpiece has a unique "coke bottle" shape, slimmer in the center. Both the mouthpiece and reedguard are hand engraved. It's a custom mouthpiece because it has the initials of the owner engraved on the back.
It came with a Selmer "Super" tenor from the early 1930s.
It plays a lot like an older New York Otto Link - not surprising because the chamber configuration is similar. Large chamber, hollow, concave sidewalls, and a short, shelf-like baffle near the tip.
It produces a HUGE sound for a mouthpiece with a chamber this big.
I love it, but I know nothing about it. HELP!!!

My MYSPACE MUSIC page:

I don't have a clue but it may be something Link made for some else, a private label deal. Phil

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have the same piece alto version. Got it with a sax I bought. Don't have a clue about it though. I tried to google the company but no luck.

It has the same cap setup. Narrow tip opening. It actually played fairly nice. Just way too soft for todays standards.

·
Registered
140 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts