Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 362 Posts

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of a Jazzlab Saxholder the other day. I had seen these at Frankfurt earlier in the year but was not impressed as they seemed to slip to one side. I mentioned that to the manufacturer and he has now altered the design so it stays put.

I must say I am totally impressed, especially as I've had a bad neck recently. I hate harnesses, and this thing just makes me feel so much less restricted, and it really does take all the weight off your neck and distributes it to your shoulders and your abdomen.

I was previously using a Cebulla, but of course you still get all the weight on your neck (though not on your spine), and I'm going to give this Saxholder doodad a big trial over the next few weeks to see how it works out in the long run. It does take some getting used to and I imagine if you haven't developed good abdominal muscles it could be a bit disconcerting, but then it's an incentive to get to work on them I suppose.

Anyway I did a review here:

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-straps.html

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,798 Posts
Pete, It looks great for standing still and playing. I am curious how it holds up to moving on stage...Not necessarily dancing (though a lot of sections have routines), but just bending over or twisting with or without the horn in your mouth. Steve

·
29,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stephen???

It looks great for standing still and playing. I am curious how it holds up to moving on stage...Not necessarily dancing (though a lot of sections have routines), but just bending over or twisting with or without the horn in your mouth. Steve
Well, I'm not a great one for keeping still while playing on stage. It is not an issue, you can move just as much as with a strap. I thought "no way" when I first saw it, but you have to try it to appreciate how it really works.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Please let us know how it works out for you in the long run.

I was thinking the stomach thing was a really bad idea but you don't seem too bothered by it.

·
29,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please let us know how it works out for you in the long run.

I was thinking the stomach thing was a really bad idea but you don't seem too bothered by it.
No, it actually works well, but you must have good abs (which we all should have). I showed it to my osteopath who thought it was way better than a conventional strap or harness, he thought the abdominal pad was good unless you rested on your actual diapghragm. Otherwise it's better to have the weight there than on your neck or spine or constricting your lungs (which a harness could do)

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,798 Posts
Pete, err Stephen (me), and other Stephen (Howard), Sorry Gentlemen, In a stroke of genius I posted the response to my myself, then signed it as myself...I should really pay more attention.

Thank you for your comments though. It does look interesting.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,757 Posts
Pete, I'm not sure if this is what Stephen was getting at, but does it feel secure? Looking at the pictures on the maker's website, it looks like a recipe for disaster if/when the shoulder hooks happen to spring loose or whatever.

If that is truly not a concern, then as you say, it does indeed look like a great "piece of kit" (I love that turn of phrase).

The idea seems related to the Zappatini harness:

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
That's what I was going to say. I use a Zappatini now even for soprano, it works really well.
Can you wear it under a shirt and let the strap like thing hang out? Do you feel it hinders chest or belly movement?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011-
1,039 Posts
I took delivery of a Jazzlab Saxholder the other day. I had seen these at Frankfurt earlier in the year but was not impressed as they seemed to slip to one side. I mentioned that to the manufacturer and he has now altered the design so it stays put.

I must say I am totally impressed, especially as I've had a bad neck recently. I hate harnesses, and this thing just makes me feel so much less restricted, and it really does take all the weight off your neck and distributes it to your shoulders and your abdomen.

I was previously using a Cebulla, but of course you still get all the weight on your neck (though not on your spine), and I'm going to give this Saxholder doodad a big trial over the next few weeks to see how it works out in the long run. It does take some getting used to and I imagine if you haven't developed good abdominal muscles it could be a bit disconcerting, but then it's an incentive to get to work on them I suppose.

Anyway I did a review here:

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-straps.html
Pete - read your review - great... one short story in regards to having the weight of the horn on the stomach - I used a similar strap/pad designed set up with the help of my Alexander teacher.... I used it for several months - it was by far the best system I'd ever tried for my posture, hands and wrists, however, I began to get horrible acid reflux... which I never had before - I had to go to the doctors, take pills etc... finally we figured out that the pressure on my stomach from the stap and pad was causing it - the light saxophone weight for 3 - 6 hours per day was enough to cause it really bad... the reflux went away days after I stopped using it and never returned... This may not be a problem for everyone or with this type of strap model - just a word of caution and somthing to look out for. Best, Matt.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,757 Posts
Can you wear it under a shirt and let the strap like thing hang out? Do you feel it hinders chest or belly movement?
I've never done that, but I think it would work. The horn strap might be coming out between buttons, so it might look a little dorky. I don't feel like it hinders my breathing at all, if that's what you mean. It does tend to pull to the side a little for me, but I've learned to live with that as it is otherwise the best piece of harness/neckstrap kit I've ever tried. The extent that you hold the horn to the side rather than the center might determine how much of an issue this is for you. Unfortunately it's not cheap and though the service direct from Zappatini was great, I don't know if a commitment-free U.S. trial is offered or practical, as the company is located in Switzerland.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've been using a Saxholder for the past week and wore it on a gig for the first time a couple of days ago. So far, I'm impressed. Compared with wearing any kind of neck strap that I've tried, including ones that relieve direct pressure on the spine, using the saxholder is like playing a saxophone in outer space in weightless conditions. A tenor feels less than the weight of an alto. It's that good.

I've haven't found that wearing it while playing when standing restricted movement but I only dance about a bit. Rock style sax up in the air moves or laying on your back while playing might
be possible but tricky. For me, it's not really comfortable to use when playing sitting down. I'm fairly tall and skinny and because this design fits me so well it probably means, because we're all different shapes and sizes, that some players may find it unsuitable or, like Matt Otto, find it actually causes problems. In my limited experience, the pressure on the abdominal area is so slight that I hardly notice it. It feels to me as though less than 10% of the weight of the instrument is distributed there.

Although this product appears to be well made only time will tell if it is robust enough to withstand everyday use. I think you need to treat this design with the same degree of respect as you do your horn. It wouldn't be difficult to damage the rather lightweight construction. I had a Neotech shoulder sling with me on the gig as back up just in case something did go wrong with the Saxholder. Like any new, unproven product, it really needs to build a good word of mouth reputation and that, if it does acquire one, will take time.

What you get. The holder, a black carry bag, spare cord and instructions.

You're meant to be able to be stow it in the bell. Yes, in a tenor, or larger, but not in a alto.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Where did you purchase the saxholder? Are there any suppliers in the US?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Where did you purchase the saxholder? Are there any suppliers in the US?
After reading Pete's review I emailed the maker's website and, because I'm in the UK, they directed me to Howarth of London who sent me one by return of post. If you're in the US I suggest you also contact Jazzlab who will be able to tell you if there's a US distributor or, maybe, supply you direct.

http://www.jazzlab.com/en/saxholder/preise-bestellung/

Link to Howarth's website.....it's listed under harnesses.

http://www.howarth.uk.com/products.aspx?id=113&url=saxacc.html

·
29,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: A true variation: the Saxholder (plus review)

This isn't an innovation, it's a variation on this drum harness:

I didn't mean to imply there's nothing like it in the world, I"m sure there are plenty of holders of things that spread some weight on the abdomen. If you think about it, some of the weight of a guitar on a strap is distributed onto the abdomen.

I considered this to be an innovation in the world of saxophones.

1 - 20 of 362 Posts