Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a track off my new record, "Crawstickers." It's a tune I wrote, "There Must Be Something Wrong With You," a duet with Washington, DC-based vocalist Mary Ann Redmond. Me on vocals and tenor; Brian Simms, piano and organ; Dave Chappell, guitar; Vince McCool, trumpet; Claude Arthur, bass; Pete Ragusa, drums.

http://soundcloud.com/scott-ramminger/there-must-be-something-wrong

Hope you enjoy it!

Scott

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
2,377 Posts
I did enjoy that Scott! I never heard Mary Ann Redmond before either, wow! What a powerhouse! I am surprised she is not huge! Certainly better than these singers that win these talent shows like American Idol..until I did a search on her, I thought she was black. Who knew a petite white woman would have that much soul in her voice?

·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! Yeah, Mary Ann is fantastic. She got signed to a Motown spinoff label early in her career, but the A&R guy who signed her got axed and the whole deal fell apart. If you are ever in the DC area, she plays every Sunday night at the Harp & Fiddle in Bethesda, Maryland. She's got a killer band too!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Nice! Man, she is so soulful. Enjoyed your tenor tone too. Is this the band you perform with live?

·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's basically the band I perform with live, most of the time. Pete Ragusa, who was in the blues band, The Nighthawks for 30 years, is my regular drummer. Claude Arthur is my regular bass player. When the gig pays enough, I try to use Brian Simms, who is playing keys on the track. And if there is money for another horn player, I call Vince McCool, who is playing trumpet. Mary Ann is a friend of mine. She has her own very fine band. But she isn't normally on my gigs. Around here everyone is doing several things. Dave, the guitar player, plays with three or four other people and has his own band. Same with Brian, the piano player. Pete is in heavy demand. So is Claude. We are fortunate that there are a lot of good players in the DC area. I learned early on to get the best rhythm section I could possibly find. Another drummer I use is a guy named Barry Hart, who played in Danny Gatton's Fun House band. He's a bad *** Buddy Rich style drummer. I basically take the gigs and do what I need to make them work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts