Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been starting with Aebersold's II V I play alongs. My teachers wants me to run the scales, chords and solo to the CD but at 126 it was too darn fast for me. I was lost and frustrated fast! I am a 5th year learner but there were too many new things at once; scales beyond a couple sharps and flats, pulling the chord out of the scale etc. I needed to slow it down. The Aebersold book runs 8 measures in each scale. So I built a play along in Band in a Box for each scale with the same format at a slower tempo and for more measures.
Hopefully a week or two of this and I can keep up with the Aebersold CD. I love Band in a Box!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm in the same position! Which version of Band in a box did you get? I think I will do the same as it sounds like the perfect solution.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm working on these too...just got started with track 1 actually. Yesterday during my sax lesson with my professor we did the following playing along to the track:
1. play major scale for the first 2 bars (the minor and dominant) and then for the last 2 bars I'd play the arpeggio of the major chord. i.e, first II-V-I of track #1 is B minor-E7-A maj. So, starting on the B minor bar play the A major scale through it and through the E7 bar. Then on the A maj bars just play the A maj arpeggio. The second one is the A min-D7-G maj so played the G major scale during the first 2 chords (A min- D7) and then D maj arpeggio for the D maj bars...and so on for the entire track (I tried real hard at least, didn't manage to do it lol)
2. play the arpeggio of each chord in the track going up...so you start with B-D-F#-A, E-G#-B-D, A-C#-E-G#
3. play the arpeggio of each chord starting on the 7th going down...A-F#-D-B, D-B-G#-E, G#-E-C#-A

The other thing that has helped me is that I play the scales following the Circle of Fifths. That somewhat allows me to know what the II and Vs are on each scale.

Forgive me if I'm using terms that are confusing you or in the wrong context. Hopefully you guys get the idea. I made it my goal this year to master (or at least not be afraid of) the II-V-I!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
Another idea: get a CD player (I use a Tascam Guitar trainer) that allows you to set loops with your volume 3 Aebersold. This way if you run into a difficult area, or key you can isolate just that part.

I am also pretty sure there must be some kind of computer software that lets you set loops to your play-a-longs.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in the same position! Which version of Band in a box did you get?
I have an older version: 2008. (The megapac) I haven't figured out how to duplicate the Aebersole track exactly - I haven't figured out if I can change key in one song many time over. But the way I set it up I am isolating each key and SLOWING it down, I have it punched in at 80. But in a couple days I can kick it up to 100 or so as I get better. I needed to slow it down more than I needed to repeat it in loops.

Band in a Box is fun anyway just to have something to play along with, I just found this other use for it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm working on these too...just got started with track 1 actually. Yesterday during my sax lesson with my professor we did the following playing along to the track:
1. play major scale for the first 2 bars (the minor and dominant) and then for the last 2 bars I'd play the arpeggio of the major chord. i.e, first II-V-I of track #1 is B minor-E7-A maj. So, starting on the B minor bar play the A major scale through it and through the E7 bar. Then on the A maj bars just play the A maj arpeggio. The second one is the A min-D7-G maj so played the G major scale during the first 2 chords (A min- D7) and then D maj arpeggio for the D maj bars...and so on for the entire track (I tried real hard at least, didn't manage to do it lol)
2. play the arpeggio of each chord in the track going up...so you start with B-D-F#-A, E-G#-B-D, A-C#-E-G#
3. play the arpeggio of each chord starting on the 7th going down...A-F#-D-B, D-B-G#-E, G#-E-C#-A
Good suggestion.
I was a little confused thinking we were talking 2 different things until I realized your an alto player and I am a tenor - different chords and keys to start!
I still need to slow it down considerably until I get the hang of it.
I am running the chord scales as written both up and down as well as playing the chords in each measure both up and down, that's 4 times thru each key. Right now I am only doing the 1st 5 keys listed until I get them smoother.
Next week I think I will be on the CD. The harder scales I have never played before so I need to get my fingers, ears and brain trained... and at 49 my brain runs a little slow!!!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Good suggestion.
I was a little confused thinking we were talking 2 different things until I realized your an alto player and I am a tenor - different chords and keys to start!
I apologize for not clarifying that I'm an alto player. i mostly have problems with any of the major keys that have more than 5 sharps/flats. Worse thing is that the book (on the Eb instruments part) lists Db major and I have to think about C# to make it easier on my brain.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The guy that I have taken lessons from for the last 5 years never had me work on scales, he is more about the mechanics of the horn, speed, playing songs and making it sound sweet. He is out of commission for a short while and I am taking a month or two of lessons from someone else and he is going in a whole other track. We are working on harmonics, scales, 2/5/1 etc. It's nice because I will be pushed in new areas. So scales and this 2/5/1 stuff is hammering me, it is totally new to me. The songs I have worked on previously never went beyond an A on the sharp side or an Eb on the flat side.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I don't use the aebersold ii-V-I recording. I practice using Neff's ii-V-I's. I use band in a box, and just give it the duration that is written, set a 'comfortable' tempo to learn patterns. The 'feels' are excellent, and can be changed up to alleviate boredom. It's the best metronome I've ever had.

·
Registered
534 Posts
:yikes!: I've been practicing scales ever since I can remember. Not that I know all of them but I do believe scales are very important. In fact, whenever I do not have time to practice for a long period of time, I usually just do long tones and scales. If I could spend 1 hour playing scales everyday I'd be happy. Unfortunately I only have 1 hour to practice everyday.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't use the aebersold ii-V-I recording. I practice using Neff's ii-V-I's. I use band in a box, and just give it the duration that is written, set a 'comfortable' tempo to learn patterns. The 'feels' are excellent, and can be changed up to alleviate boredom. It's the best metronome I've ever had.
What is Neff's ii-V-I's?

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'm not that computer literate but can't you just load the Abersold CDs on a PC and play them in Media Player which has a play-speed adjustment variable down to half speed?
I tend to use Band in a Box as well, but now Media Player has the speed adjustment it is great for transcribing etc too! Also it doesn't change the pitch.
I bet no-one reading this thread can remember playing vinyl records on a deck which could go down to 16 2/3rds speed and recording that onto cassette tape to get a half speed version (but down the 8ve) to transcribe solos?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bob where have you been ? LOL

Try this http://neffmusic.com/
Hah. Married with children... need I say more!! I am WAY behind! Oh... and self employed too! It's hard enough getting horn time around my kids schedules, can't practice when they are sleeping or studying and there is sports and clubs and driving them around. And my computer with BiB is in the basement, old and not on the web. So I make due.
Bob

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Start with roots only
then root and fifth
then third
then third and fifth
then seventh
then fifth and seventh

take it in steps. The CD isn't too fast. You're compelled to play fast, which you don't have to do. Do what you CAN do first.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Start with roots only
then root and fifth
then third
then third and fifth
then seventh
then fifth and seventh

take it in steps. The CD isn't too fast. You're compelled to play fast, which you don't have to do. Do what you CAN do first.

I like that Idea. I can do that with the CD as well as practice with Band in a Box in a slower tempo and between the two be up to speed in no time, as well as learn the new keys!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Start with roots only
then root and fifth
then third
then third and fifth
then seventh
then fifth and seventh

Just had some time for practice before I pour some concrete (self employed and slower now - working on the "honey do" list). I Ran though the CD once doing the root only, then a 2nd time with the root and the 5th. The tougher keys (Like Ab and Gb) gave me some grief so I fired up band in a box and worked on the Ab key in the slower format. I think the combo of the two will work!

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
I'm not that computer literate but can't you just load the Abersold CDs on a PC and play them in Media Player which has a play-speed adjustment variable down to half speed?
I tend to use Band in a Box as well, but now Media Player has the speed adjustment it is great for transcribing etc too! Also it doesn't change the pitch.
I bet no-one reading this thread can remember playing vinyl records on a deck which could go down to 16 2/3rds speed and recording that onto cassette tape to get a half speed version (but down the 8ve) to transcribe solos?
Could you please tell me which version of WMP has that and where it is located on the player skin. I've never seen it on mine and can't locate anything like that so I guess it is new and I'll need to upgrade??

1 - 20 of 46 Posts