Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi TOTM people,

I would like to share the idea that I wanted to bring here for sometime...

Currently, we have TOTMs - Beginners and Advanced.

I think that adding a new rubric - TOTM for Pros, could bring more participants.

And these participants will be of Dave Pollack caliber.

Don't want to develop my thought further... I guess the idea is clear.

Does it make any sense?

Michael.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Hi TOTM people,

I think that adding a new rubric - TOTM for Pros, could bring more participants.

Does it make any sense?

Michael.
I don't know, Dave post a lot of things because he's got a serious Youtube Channel, the other ones are maybe busy by other things.
But why not ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,979 Posts
Seems redundant to me, FWIW. If a professional player wants to post his TOTM effort now, they just do it under 'advanced'.

If they do not care to, I am not sure that creating a new sub-category would actually make them care to any more (?)

·
Registered
170 Posts
There are very few players of Dave Pollack's caliber on the planet. There are some really fine players here to be sure, but few in the "world class" category. Mr. Pollack is one. Matt Otto is another, and David Valdez too. Joel Frahm has dropped-bye a few times to say hello, but I can't imagine him participating. Of the three I mentioned above only Dave is still around. Cats at that level tend to be very busy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
The vast majority of good players I know have little to do with forums. They are busy teaching and playing and scrounging the next gig. I agree with the previos posts. The people that want to post a performance can already. K

·
Administrator
17,276 Posts
Hi TOTM people,

Does it make any sense?

Michael.
Michael, not a bad idea, but actually the two categories cover all.

- Main TOTM is for very advanced (pro), advanced and intermediate players
- B&I TOTM is for beginner and intermediate players

In the past we had a lot more players (including very good ones) attending the main TOTM, but that doesn't happen anymore. Nowadays only a small group of players still attends and there is not much difference anymore between both threads. It's also coming more and more difficult to find hosts for both threads, so I don't think another category will be a success, simply because the pro's won't attend and it will be almost impossible to find a host. But I won't mind if someone wants to try this, who knows what happens!

There are very few players of Dave Pollack's caliber on the planet. There are some really fine players here to be sure, but few in the "world class" category. Mr. Pollack is one. Matt Otto is another, and David Valdez too. Joel Frahm has dropped-bye a few times to say hello, but I can't imagine him participating. Of the three I mentioned above only Dave is still around. Cats at that level tend to be very busy.
Dave Pollack has been active in some of our main TOTM's, which was a big help for the attenders, but unfortunately not anymore. We have many more good pro level players on the forum (David Wells joined a lot in the past), but I don't see them joining anymore (which I can actually fully understand). Most of them are not very active here anyhow.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Michael, not a bad idea, but actually the two categories cover all.

- Main TOTM is for very advanced (pro), advanced and intermediate players
- B&I TOTM is for beginner and intermediate players

In the past we had a lot more players (including very good ones) attending the main TOTM, but that doesn't happen anymore. Nowadays only a small group of players still attends and there is not much difference anymore between both threads. It's also coming more and more difficult to find hosts for both threads, so I don't think another category will be a success, simply because the pro's won't attend and it will be almost impossible to find a host. But I won't mind if someone wants to try this, who knows what happens!

Dave Pollack has been active in some of our main TOTM's, which was a big help for the attenders, but unfortunately not anymore. We have many more good pro level players on the forum (David Wells joined a lot in the past), but I don't see them joining anymore (which I can actually fully understand). Most of them are not very active here anyhow.
Peter, absolutely understand and sure it reflects the same view on my "idea" from other answers.
But yours "But I won't mind if someone wants to try this, who knows what happens!" kind of leaves theoretical hope that it could work and we could have some super interesting performances from PROs that are in the army of "unknown soldiers".

·
Administrator
17,276 Posts
But yours "But I won't mind if someone wants to try this, who knows what happens!" kind of leaves theoretical hope that it could work and we could have some super interesting performances from PROs that are in the army of "unknown soldiers".
Indeed, so feel free to organize a try-out thread Michael (including tune selection, sheet music and backing(s)).

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Indeed, so feel free to organize a try-out thread Michael (including tune selection, sheet music and backing(s)).
I mentioned - "theoretical" hope :)

After all opinions it just shows that the "idea" is not more than a mirage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts