Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a Caravan tenor mouthpiece. It is excellent, just right for my concert band scene. I have a Link Edge (6) and I not long ago had a Phil Barone metal Jazz (6*). I like both of those mouthpieces but I found that I had to pull them way back to get in tune. In contrast, with the Caravan I can just whack it on in a comfortable position and it requires minor tuning.

So, whilst I love the Caravan, what I'm asking here is - does anyone know of a more jazz style mouthpiece, pref metal, that would have similar attributes? Basically, something that tends to play a little flat. Or maybe I need to look at something with a fairly narrow tip opening?

I guess I'd like to find something that has a bit more colour than the Caravan - a mouthpiece for alternative occasions.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mouthpieces don't play flat. Mouthpieces don't play sharp.
Point accepted. Although, in relative terms, if I were to place my Link, Barone and Caravan on the cork in exactly the same position I would be sharp on both the Link and Barone. Conversely, if I were to adjust the Link and Barone to be in tune and place the Caravan in the same position the latter would be flat. Now, I'm sure my embouchure is slightly different on each mouthpiece but I would tend to think that the horn and I are two variables that are constant. Please correct me if I'm wrong (which I quite frequently am) but from a scientific and logical perspective the variable which is not constant is the mouthpiece. Therefore one plays flat relative to the other two?

I guess a piece with a longer shank could be worth looking for.

·
Registered
9,018 Posts
You should not assume that mouthpiece should tune to the same position on your neck cork. The cork is there to allow for a range of positions as needed to give you the best results with a variety of mouthpieces (and embouchures). Occasionally a player needs to push in or pull out farther than the cork can accommodate. Coork grease and paper or Teflon tape can hep witht the fit. If not, then you need to decide if the mouthpiece is worth sanding the cork down or getting a re-cork. Mouthpieces can also be modified for a better fit including lengthening the shank. But you really need to like it to consider that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems that I might need to look for a mouthpiece with a long shank. Any suggestions

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
You may also want to consider that it might be something you are doing to make them play sharp - the other pieces were likely more open-tipped than the caravan, I wonder if you were "biting" and raising the pitch up? Try with a softer reed and focus on staying relaxed, maybe take a little more mouthpiece in, and see if that makes a difference or not. Cheaper than a new mouthpiece....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts