Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In order to practice repadding and sax repair in general I recently bought a cheap sax on E-Bay. However, when the postman had delivered the parcel, I recognized, that I had bought a far better horn than expected. It will just need some minor work and after it had been lubricated and adjusted a bit it was fully playable with the most lovely tone! So, I am now in possession of a great vintage sax but I really don’t know who made it ? The only engraving says “Harmonia – Bruxelles” and number 8125. It’s probably a stencil, but from which manufacturer? I have attached some photos and would be glad if someone could identify the sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
A very unique and well made looking saxophone... Send a message to Milandro... If I may ask, how much did you have to pay for this fine looking horn?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
Maybe an early Keilwerth made horn. The keyguards are not an American company. Keilwert had a lot of experimentation, but it lack rolled tone holes which makes me think it might be a very early Keilwerth stencil. Its not German, but could be a Keilwerth stencil.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,574 Posts
What does the extra key near the high E key (but close to the main stack) do? Looks like some sort of alternate key for one of the high notes?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,888 Posts
I am out of my depths here but this is , in my opinion, nothing like a German or Bohemian horn and everything looks very French to me (look at the key guards!), could be a Pierret because I know that they made beautiful and complex saxophones but I wouldn't be able to say for sure

...........but with a little research........I made a positive Identification, the neck is different but the sax is almost the same, yes Pierret
http://bassic-sax.ca/version5/vintage-saxes/european-made-saxes/pierret

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@milandro
That's what I guessed too. Bruxelles is closer to France than to Germany. At first I thought that I was an early Kohlert, but later, when I compared the keywork to the Pierrets, I was convinced that it had to be a french horn. When I had made the horn playable, I was obviously, that it is french. The sax has "that" french "timbre", which is so different from the more robust german horns. So far, so good. The next question: Without any doubts it's an early horn, but how early ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
726 Posts
I have seen a french soprano "Rene Guenot" with the same pinky cluster and a similar typography on the engraving some time ago.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
I'd say French and I'm leaning towards Pierret or Buffet. The key guard feet and bumpers are very French; that particular design of microtuner looks like Pierret (to me) and the lyre holder is very Buffet S-A looking to my eye.
If I had to guess vintage I'd say 30s-early 40s...?

·
Registered
99 Posts
First: this is very fine old sax, but perhaps not that old since the left hand pinky spatulla is reminiscent of 50's to 60's saxes. It seems to have a G trill key and a high F# key that is an extension of the right hand index finger exactly as my JK Toneking of early 60s. Oth it has decorated bell elbow to body rings very similar to the Selmer saxes. Very puzzling.
Nice catch!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,035 Posts
To further clarify that extra key by the high E; it opens another hole up in the palm key area to enable middle C>D or C#>D rather than having to slam the RH stack keys closed or using the second register long C or C# fingering. Common on old Holtons, Hohners and I have a similar one (opens the palm Eb) on my Mark VI.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I am out of my depths here but this is , in my opinion, nothing like a German or Bohemian horn and everything looks very French to me (look at the key guards!), could be a Pierret because I know that they made beautiful and complex saxophones but I wouldn't be able to say for sure

...........but with a little research........I made a positive Identification, the neck is different but the sax is almost the same, yes Pierret
http://bassic-sax.ca/version5/vintage-saxes/european-made-saxes/pierret
Great website, Milandro. Thanks!

·
38,888 Posts

·
38,888 Posts
Well, I am convinced that it is a Pierret since in the Link I posted before

http://bassic-sax.ca/version5/vintag...-saxes/pierret

there is the same sax , minus the neck (which appears in other Pierret pics such as here

Stylistically this should be a '30 ,'40 horn

·
Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire
964 Posts
Glad you like my site guys. Thanks!

After carefully looking at this mystery horn, I'm 99.9% convinced that it is not a Pierret. Here's why. I have to date not found any Pierret saxophones that have split bell keys. My rather extensive Pierret Gallery doesn't contain any images that look even similar to this sax. (I just spent 10 minutes looking through everything just to make sure.) :bluewink:

The oldest model of Pierret that Pete Hales and I have come across are the "unlabelled" and the "Corps Embouti". Neither of these have split bell keys, and neither look like this sax. As you come up the chronological chart, the saxophones don't come any closer to resembling this sax.

I have not seen a neck brace on a Pierret like the one on this horn, until the 1950s or so versions. For example, their Embassy alto, and their Parisan Alto (that they made for F.E. Olds & Son) have braces like this.

The microtuner also doesn't look right. It doesn't look like those found on the early model Pierrets, such as the one this unlabelled alto 5543. Notice the Pierret had 3 rings on the tuner, while this mystery sax only had 2. Pierrets microtuners were consistant in the early days.

The left pinkie cluster resembles no Pierret in my gallery. Check 'em all out. I did, but you won't find another that looks like it.

I could go on, but you get the general idea. Whatever this is... It ain't no Pierret. I just don't know for sure what it is. :dontknow:

I have a couple of theories, but I'd need to chase them down. I'm on my way out the door shortly, so don't have time to research it now. I'll do it a bit later today. I've got some other horns that I haven't got in my gallery, that might resemble this one, but I'm working off memory right now, so I'm reluctant to write anything until I've had a chance to look it up.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts