Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2009 & Mouthpiece Patch Mogul
4,054 Posts
My experience of sax.co.uk has been mixed. Small things, mpcs, accessories etc have been fine. I bought a new YAS875EX in silver from them and it arrived in less than new condition. It had lots of tarnish, very fine scratches and a very small dent at the bottom. It seems to me this had been a showroom model used by potential customers. It certainly wouldnt be classed as new in my book, I emailed to complain and came away with a free pair of silver polishing gloves (at my request) and an apology. Not the best experience Ive had but I was too smitten with the sax to return it. The tarnish and faint scratches all polished out but the dent and the lack of trust is still there.

I`ve dealt with them since and, as I say, for small things they`re fine but I`d think twice about buying larger, potentially demonstration, items from them again.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Face Ache Mike said:
I emailed to complain and came away with a free pair of silver polishing gloves...and an apology..
...a pair of gloves? :scratch:

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
gary said:
...a pair of gloves? :scratch:
On the face of it, yes, that does seem poor recompense for a shop-damaged sax sold as new! Or was it maybe advertised as "ex-display" and/or significantly reduced from the new price? I've never had any probs with dawkes and i think they're actually rather cheaper than the other store. This story about saxophones.co.uk isn't inspiring confidence, Mike!

·
Registered
494 Posts
have you thought of buying it from the states like wwbw i've bought several mpc's and they work out a lot cheaper the last one was a guardala king and with shipping cost me £85 that's a saving of over £200 also got a metal yanagisawa sopranino for £65

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,334 Posts
Raphael Nonsenso said:
I'd just like to do a 'background check' on the following suppliers. I intend to order a mouthpiece and a ligature from one of them (for delivery to the London area), and was wondering if anyone had any experience/advice/alternatives.

1. Dawkes Music Ltd (http://www.dawkes.co.uk/index.asp)

2. Saxophones.co.uk (http://www.sax.co.uk/)

Thanks very much!
I've heard nothing but good about saxophones.co.uk. (apart from the above posts) and have had good service myself from there. You could also try:

3. Woodwind and Brass Ltd

http://www.woodwindandbrass.co.uk/

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've had excellent service from sax.co.uk. I've had a few mpc's and couple of horns and all were shipped in top condition and arrived very quickly.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Pete Thomas said:
I've heard nothing but good about saxophones.co.uk. (apart from the above posts) and have had good service myself from there. You could also try:

3. Woodwind and Brass Ltd

http://www.woodwindandbrass.co.uk/
Another option would be Howarths especially as you are already in London. Well worth a visit just to look at the stock!! And I've always found them pretty competitive on price.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Howarths are good in my experience, agreed; also Myatts at Hitchin.

·
Forum Contributor 2009 & Mouthpiece Patch Mogul
4,054 Posts
Yep, a pair of silver polishing gloves which is what I requested in recompense. The price was significantly reduced already but I was of the understanding it was as brand new, ie unused. Anyway, I suppose I could have demanded an exchange but I wasn`t bothered enough.

The suggestion to buy from abroad (USA in particular) is good but beware import tax/duty etc. I paid £18 on a £40 mpc and wasnt too pleased but thats UK govt for you.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've used both - smaller stuff from sax.co.uk and mouthpieces (and a saxophone) from Dawkes (collected in store). Both have good customer service in my experience. I have bought a mouthpiece mail order from Howarths - it was good value and well packed, so I can recommend them too.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've worked mail order with Dawkes for a few years now and they are great - any problems have been very satisfactorily dealt with. I do tend to phone them rather than order over the internet - you know if its in stock and when it will ship.

My dealings with Woodwind and brass (only once) werent great, service was not as good/quick as Dawkes, although the price of the item was great.

If you teach, do mention it to Dawkes, they offer a "teachers discount" on some items.

Jason

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've used both fairly extensively and have not had any problems with either - when shopping for a new soprano (YSS475) I did find that Dawkes was quite a bit more expensive so went for saxophones.co.uk.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,320 Posts
Face Ache Mike said:
I paid £18 on a £40 mpc and wasnt too pleased but thats UK govt for you.
Thats any government for you...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have decided to use Dawkes because it's cheaper than any of the alternatives for the products I want.

Thanks for your help. Will certainly check out some of these places (have been using Michael White's up till now but there's something about the atmosphere there that I can't bear - and its stock isn't great).

·
Registered
494 Posts
what mouthpiece are you getting?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Face Ache Mike said:
My experience of sax.co.uk has been mixed. Small things, mpcs, accessories etc have been fine. I bought a new YAS875EX in silver from them and it arrived in less than new condition. It had lots of tarnish, very fine scratches and a very small dent at the bottom. It seems to me this had been a showroom model used by potential customers. It certainly wouldnt be classed as new in my book, I emailed to complain and came away with a free pair of silver polishing gloves (at my request) and an apology. Not the best experience Ive had but I was too smitten with the sax to return it. The tarnish and faint scratches all polished out but the dent and the lack of trust is still there.

I`ve dealt with them since and, as I say, for small things they`re fine but I`d think twice about buying larger, potentially demonstration, items from them again.
The sax you got does sound like it had been well used and I can understand why you would feel annoyed - particularly the dent. BUT the shops are in a very difficult position with this, as people want to play the horns before they buy - the actual horn not the same model. You often read on these boards about someone going to shop an playing 3 horns of the same model and coming away with the one they like best. This is fair enough but it means every horn is a 'demo model'.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts