Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Tale of 2 Necks & 1 Yamaha 82Z tenor G1 vs V1

I made a video comparing the stock G1 model neck on this black lacquer 82Z tenor with a solid silver V1 neck.
I think the silver neck has a more refined tone and it actually feels better to play on to me. It seems to have slightly more resistance to push against.
The G1 seems more in-your-face with it's tone.
The 82Z is a really solid horn as one might expect from a Yamaha. I'm not sure how the black lacquer effects the sound but it must do something to it obviously.
I'm playing on my Otto link STM Florida No USA 9* with a 3M Roberto's Winds Reed,
The actual playing starts at 2:20 for the stock neck and then 7:20 for the silver neck.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Re: A Tale of 2 Necks & 1 Yamaha 82Z tenor G1 vs V1

The difference, to this listener, was quite discernable. I do think I preferred the stock neck.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

I'm not sure how the black lacquer effects the sound but it must do something to it obviously.
Why would it be obvious? There's no way for you to prove that you're correct.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,264 Posts

<groan> Let it go...

And yes, my experience with Borgani Jubilee tenors shows me that there are differences in sound between like horns of different finish. Will stand up in court? I don't care. I got to pick and keep the horns I prefer.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I've got the same horn and necks, as well as the black lacquer. My impressions are generally in line with the OP's, and I found the V1 had better intonation. But then as I am only slightly more advanced than a beginner, what do I really know ?

·
Registered
720 Posts
I actually prefer the sound from the stock (first) neck.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Obvious in the sense that any change that you do to a horn would change it. I don't think it's necessarily something that can measured or even heard.
If you disagree that's fine with me.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
They sounded similar to me but computer speakers are not always to best to use when judging. I tried many of the new Yamaha necks with my 875 Custom - G1, V1, E1, C1, as well as the stock M1 and the Ponzol that I normally use. I liked the solid silver V1 the best although it was more about the way the horn responded than how it changed the sound.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They sounded similar to me but computer speakers are not always to best to use when judging. I tried many of the new Yamaha necks with my 875 Custom - G1, V1, E1, C1, as well as the stock M1 and the Ponzol that I normally use. I liked the solid silver V1 the best although it was more about the way the horn responded than how it changed the sound.
I kind of thought the same thing. The horn was more comfortable to play with the silver neck although the sound isn't that much different.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
I kind of thought the same thing. The horn was more comfortable to play with the silver neck although the sound isn't that much different.
I felt for me it thickened up the palm keys a bit without as much effort. Overall I liked the way it responded but not enough to drop the $800 or whatever it was. The folks listening to me try it in the shop didn't hear much difference which didn't surprise me as the differences between the necks were pretty subtle even to me as the player. Despite what many here claim to hear when someone posts one of these shoot-outs it's very clear that changes in gear need to be fairly substantial before people can consistently identify the differences. As an experienced player you will feel the differences in the way the horn responds, how hard it is to get the sound timbre or intonation where you want it, blowing resistance, etc. long before anyone listening to you will notice much difference in your sound.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As an experienced player you will feel the differences in the way the horn responds, how hard it is to get the sound timbre or intonation where you want it, blowing resistance, etc. long before anyone listening to you will notice much difference in your sound.
I completely agree..the sound is in your head. The equipment can help bring it out by making it easier to achieve.

·
Banned
297 Posts
I just got a deal on a yts-875 (original) and though I am liking this axe more everyday, What is the consensus on the best alternative to the stock m1?.........oh sorry if I might be derailling the subject of the tread!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I just got a deal on a yts-875 (original) and though I am liking this axe more everyday, What is the consensus on the best alternative to the stock m1?.........oh sorry if I might be derailling the subject of the tread!
All the Yamaha aftermarket necks are excellent… what are you looking to change?

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Best thing to do is find someplace that stocks them and try them for yourself. I prefer the V1 but I feel the G1 that came on many of the Yamaha tenors for a while and Ponzol I own are both better than the M1 as well. For me the E1 and C1 weren't any better than the stock M1.

As Christian suggests; it really depends upon what you want and/or what you don't like about the neck you have.

·
Banned
297 Posts
All the Yamaha aftermarket necks are excellent… what are you looking to change?
actually, i was thinking of getting something that would make the horn closer to a mk6!......iam digging this horn the more i play it! the reason i asked is because i have no experience with Yamaha necks........

·
Banned
297 Posts
Best thing to do is find someplace that stocks them and try them for yourself. I prefer the V1 but I feel the G1 that came on many of the Yamaha tenors for a while and Ponzol I own are both better than the M1 as well. For me the E1 and C1 weren't any better than the stock M1.

As Christian suggests; it really depends upon what you want and/or what you don't like about the neck you have.
wow!.........thanks!

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
wow!.........thanks!
I don't play my Yamaha much anymore because I feel like I can get a better sound from my Barone and TM Custom which is the main reason I didn't want to spend the big $$$ to get the silver V1 neck.

There's a lacquered G1 for sale right now in the marketplace section for a fair price. If I were in your place I'd consider making an offer on that as you can always turn around an sell it for close to what you paid. I was tempted to go for it myself but I already have two necks for a horn I don't play all that much and I'm considering getting another flute so I'm saving up for that.

·
Banned
297 Posts
I don't play my Yamaha much anymore because I feel like I can get a better sound from my Barone and TM Custom which is the main reason I didn't want to spend the big $$$ to get the silver V1 neck.

There's a lacquered G1 for sale right now in the marketplace section for a fair price. If I were in your place I'd consider making an offer on that as you can always turn around an sell it for close to what you paid. I was tempted to go for it myself but I already have two necks for a horn I don't play all that much and I'm considering getting another flute so I'm saving up for that.
REALLY!.........that is exactly what i will do!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts