1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
The alto shows the PM logo a little, so maybe this is a reality?
I know I have seen a Chinese straight tenor an alto before, but I cannot say if the horns pictured are similar. My JK straights have more noticeably upward curve to the bell than these horns. If this is a reality, I am interested in a tenor!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Tried both. Alto is quite nice. It plays a lot better than other ordinary altos by P Mauriat itself. Sound has more depth. Resistance is more or less the same. However, its sound cannot compare to Keilwerth SX90 straight alto which has more character and responsive to neck change.

Tenor is very plain. To me, it cannot beat 66R or System 76 or even 201/202. Very awkward to play though.

·
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very interesting. Where did you try them? Are they starting to trickle out to end users/retailers or were you at the showroom?

Anybody interested in ordering a straight alto? I get to playtest it as part of my setup :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sax Society, Bangkok

·
Registered
296 Posts
Tony?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have two straight altos - an LA Sax, which looks nice, and a Keilwerth which both looks nice and plays beautifully (better intonation and ergos than my Selmer Ref 54).

Keilwerth also made a straight tenor, I've been looking for one for years, as did LA Sax. I do have a Dakota Sax straight tenor. (I suspect Dakota is probably the offspring of LA Sax.) It is a lovely to look at horn that plays fairly well - but I'd still prefer a Keilwerth.

The only experience I have with P.Mauriat horns is with a tipped bell soprano that I've found to be a very good player. I'll be interested to hear/see more on their straight horns and am already checking the bank book (and the spouse) to see about the possibility of adding another tenor to the 'choir'...

Thanks for the info!

·
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
supruet: Greg Fishman.

Olddicklane: Thanks for sharing and no problem! I'd throw in free shipping (if you are in the US- otherwise I'll split it with you) just cause I would be really interested to play it while setting it up! Speaking of shipping- wonder what a straight tenor case looks like??

·
Registered
105 Posts
The straight alto intrigues me!

·
Registered
105 Posts
How much does the straight alto cost?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, Abad....

I'm in the US (if you consider central Minnesota as being "in") and am interested. Can you give me some kind of estimate on price? (A possible divorce may depend on it.)

And here's a picture of my Yani tenor (in case), my Sax Dakota straight tenor (in case), and my LA Sax straight alto (in case) to give you some idea of case size/layout.

View attachment 28572

As regards prices: Hornsales.com currently has straight alto at (list $3700) $2399.99 and straight tenor at (list $3950) 2499.99 - with a variety of finishes...

·
Registered
296 Posts
As far as I know, the prices are in exceed of $3500 for alto and $4000 for tenor. These are rough estimates I heard.

No doubt about PMSS-601. I think it is one of the best soprano. Providing the same design (but different materials) to Saxgourmet, 601 sounds even better.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
none of this is new both straight altos and tenors have been out there many times before and many times before they have been used as eye-catchers but never really made it into the mainstream market.

The reasons are obvious. Beside questionable sound differences with conventional saxophones both horns give so many problems and due to their smaller production tend to cost more, are uncomfortable to play and to carry around. . No doubt a few performing artists endorsed by Mauriat will use the straight horns but these horns will never be anything else than a novelty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts