Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to get a new tenor (probably a MK VI), that would be comfortable enough to let me play freely. However, I think I got my sound concept without having the ultimate horn for me. I can finaly hear myself and like it a little. [rolleyes]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEdzwqELWVk

I'd love to get some reviews..

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Well, the sound quality in the clip you linked didn't tell me a lot. Mic seemed a little distant...

I did check out the softly clip too, and I liked that quite a bit. Nice body to your sound, not too dark but nice and round with a little edge. Kind of the "edgy dark" tone that a lot of players seem to favor...contemporary. Not sure what horn you're using there, nice intonation though, and the altissimo was nice and responsive with good quality.

Shawn

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Good chops and technique, but I only hear a lot of theory/changes being played. Not sure if this is where anyone serious about music wants to exclusively live. Doesn't matter what horn you use, it's how you use it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
Your tone on "Softly" is very good. Unless you feel your present horn is mechanically holding you back, I wouldn't worry about replacing it. If you do, you should try lots of horns to make sure you retain the tone you want. Each of my saxes sound different using the same mouthpiece.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I wrote on another post:

My instrument is realy responsive and easy to play in all the registers, from the bottom to the highest altissimo. However, after 2 years with it, I know that the problem of me sounding like im losing my embouchure after several minutes of playing without stopping, is in my horn. I know that because I work realy hard on long notes and overtones, and a friend of mine which is not doing this at all but play a selmer, doesn't have this problem.
We switched instruments for a week and his selmer made me feel so free, so in tune, like it prevents you from losing grip. I realy liked it (it was a silver series II)
I played a clarinet for somthing like 8 years and switched to tenor in the last 3 years, so after that and after playing hours a day on the tenor I realy feel like the problem is not me.
(also, I switched some mouthpieces/reeds/ligs, and found this seutp which lets me play with the least feeling of embouchure loss).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
Have you had your pads checked for leakiness? Even a neck cork with some wear on the leading edge can cause some turbulence that dampens the sax playability. If you friends horn plays sweet, then its probably your horn. But is it that the horn is not working optimumly? Or it's the horn ... what kind of horn isit?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts