Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around the time I joined SOTW, I remember running across a thread that had a link to a site that helped ID saxophones and estimate their value. This site also had a page where you plug in Brand, model and serial #, and it would come back with where and when it was most likely made and again, pretty much how much it's probably worth. I've tried and tired to find that site and the thread that originally lead me to it, but I'm having zero luck. Even my Google searches have come up empty. Can some one help and cough up a link to this site? I'm almost sure someone in here has it bookmarked. Much appreciated. One of my classmate got a horn from her great grandfather and my Dad was talking with her Moms about it and I wanna help them ID it. Thanks!

Jr.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
The only site I can think of is Saxgourmet but it is not too current on the estimates as the market changes a lot. Sounds like an interesting site you mention!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
estimations of the value of a vintage or second hand item are always doomed to fail because value is a dimension reflective of local factors and subject to variation according to the whims of the market. In my opinion , any such attempt will only result in a half-baked collection of partial data. Moreover: where (what kind of transaction) are you going to base your figures? Private sales? Auction sales? Internet auction sales? Shop prices?
All of these introduce conspicuous variables let alone the fact that what's true in America is certainly not true in Australia or Europe!

A different matter altogether would be creating and administrating a Saxophone's pictures databank to take the good work done by Pete Hales ( the original creator of SAXPICS) a step further.

In spite of all its shortcomings, Saxpics is still the best on line resource for dating and comparing saxophones. The problem is that the site would need some serious and expensive attempt to give uniformity to the database and to put some order in it reforming the texts as much as the images.

There is the need there of a review of the previous , still available, material and the need to make the iconographic material at least uniform (same kind of quality and size of the pictures). The problem is who is going to do this? If one would undertake such a gigantic project there would be the need to found it.
I for one would be contributing with pictures and some money to support such an initiative if it will ever be started.

SOTW could be the ideal platform for this because of the wealth of information present among the users and members, but it would be a full time job for at least a couple of people for at least a couple of years and it would require a specific database software creation and administration.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! That makes some sense, never thought of all dat. Actually, with all the talent, knowledge and experience creeping through these SOTW halls, I thought and assumed most of that had already been done. I think the only thing my classmate's Mom really wants is to ID the sop, ainno way they lookin to sell it. It's a posthumously gift from her great grandfather for Pete's sake, and she's a aspiring and accomplished student. My guess and hope is she'll have it for her own duration and continue the 'pass down' on to her's.

Still, I remember visiting this site some time back. Just having the hardest time finding it again. And for now, just an ID is all I think her mom needs and it was perfect for that.

Jr.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
if you just want to know something about a particular horn, post pictures (as many and as detailed possible) in a new thread and I am sure that most of us will chip in with relevant and hopefully helpful comments.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mr. Milandro. I'll pass that on when I see her in class. Maybe I'll have my Dad email her Moms and see if they'll take some pics.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
Yes, I agree with all which has been said here.

Too many dynamic factors in determining the valuation of a horn. This is actually probably the BEST site to actually determine market value and info......

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
SOTW is still the best site for evaluations. For current selling prices, ebay is also good but there are extremes. Sometimes a horn sells for thousands over what it usually sells for due to a bidding war that people get caught up in. Other times something has a low BIN and gets snapped up early. I have seen a Mark VI alto with a Selmer Clarinet sell for $500 in good condition (someone here got it!) and one night I missed a VI low A bari for about the same amount.
Post photos here and you will get a good idea of value.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts