Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Norbert, who lives in upper Manhattan, is my new go-to mouthpiece guy. I think he's a genius - he has worked on several of my pieces which then turned into the best players of my 50 years of performing on the saxophone. His work is careful, educated, effective; his rates are reasonable and he is a terrifically nice guy (and a great saxophonist himself).

I'm not kidding. This guy is the real thing, and he understands the theory and practice of mouthpiece making and saxophone performance.

And no, I have no commercial relationship with him. But even at my advanced age of 65, having been recording and performing for 35 years (with Julius Hemphill, David Murray, JD Allen, Ken Peplowski, Doc Cheatham) I feel like his pieces have given me a new lease on saxophone life.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Funny but I've been playing telephone tag with him today. Yes an outstanding player and mouthpiece expert for sure.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I’m a big Norbert Stachel fan. Saw him once some years back when he was a late fill-in for a show here in San Diego, and I was blown away by his performance. Sadly, his band LehCats doesn’t get out West much, and so far hasn’t been back to San Diego (despite my requests).

If you get a chance, see him and/or his band. You won’t regret it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Norbert, who lives in upper Manhattan, is my new go-to mouthpiece guy. I think he's a genius - he has worked on several of my pieces which then turned into the best players of my 50 years of performing on the saxophone. His work is careful, educated, effective; his rates are reasonable and he is a terrifically nice guy (and a great saxophonist himself).

I'm not kidding. This guy is the real thing, and he understands the theory and practice of mouthpiece making and saxophone performance.

And no, I have no commercial relationship with him. But even at my advanced age of 65, having been recording and performing for 35 years (with Julius Hemphill, David Murray, JD Allen, Ken Peplowski, Doc Cheatham) I feel like his pieces have given me a new lease on saxophone life.
He was great with TOP. I have two Lakey metal pieces that he worked on. Loved them back in the day. Haven't played them for a while - time for a trip to the mouthpiece box.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
The first time I heard him play was in my living room. He was 15 and checking out a Noblet baritone I had for sale. He completely shattered any notions I had about how well someone that young could play, he was already a very serious player by that point.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I now have three mouthpieces he worked on; all so good that I have a gig this Thursday and I cannot decide which one to use. If anyone wants his contact info, message me here.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
My EB HR tenor piece was worked on by Norbert. It's insane how great his work is. At one point, he refaced a Reso Chamber for me. That one went to Ben Wendel.

Norbert is one of those rare BEASTS on almost anything he picks up. Have you heard the album he did where he played EVERYTHING? Sick sh*t, people!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
Norbert is simply the best. My regular players are all set up by Norbert.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts