Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time ago I started a thread discussing some issues I was having with a newly acquired Baritone Mouthpiece.
The piece was a Mouthpiece Cafe Grande Supreme.
A nice piece, but it was very chirpy (at least for me).
I could really only get it to play with Synthetic reeds or the odd new cane reed, but very few canes would work for me.
It was a 7* tip which is normally right on the money for me on Baritone, but it felt a lot bigger.
Anyway to cut a long story short.
Sebastian saw my thread and reached out to me, offering his services to help rectify my problem.
I happily took him up on his offer and sent the piece to him so he could diagnose what was causing these issues for me.
He then made some adjustments to the table, baffle and facing before returning it to me.
I got it back last night and spent some time with it this morning.
“Outstanding”
It is like a completely different piece for me now.
Not a chirp to be found.
Plays with any reed I put on it, new cane, crusty old cane, synthetics, the lot.
Even jumping through the registers won’t provoke a chirp.
Stiffer reeds or softer reeds play equally as well.
Feels like a true 7* tip now with a very reed friendly facing.
I’m really looking forward to putting some more time into this piece now.
I would just like to thank Sebastian for his wonderful work and would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone in need of exceptional Mouthpiece work.
Nick.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,397 Posts
Thanks Nick,

I appreciate this note here. What I found frustrating was that you liked this mouthpiece and just wanted to know why it was chirping. Good players can give their opinions until they're blue in the face but I knew why it was squeaking and that gave me an opportunity to rework this piece. What was going on with it was more subtle than meets the eye so I had to redo everything. The table was close but not feeling secure on my surface plate or my glass gauges. The tip was high but more importantly, the tip shape didn't allow for a tip rail that matches the contour of a reed so I redid the baffle shape and profile to be less round and more flat like a vintage piece. I also raised the angle of the baffle slightly to make it speak more quickly and with more presence. A shorter facing curve overall helped this piece as well with a generally sluggish response.

The result: a truly custom piece that still has warmth and flexibility but now is stable and much easier to play with a better balance of overtones, and importantly very reed friendly!

Enjoy!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts