Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a poor student, I was happy to find out I got a healthy scholarship, which I should have used to help support myself over the next 8 months. Then I started spending it before I even got the cheque.
Here's the damage so far:

Barone Baritone Neck
Muncy Delrin Clarinet Barrel
Backun Fatboy Cocobolo Barrel
Grabner K14
Carl Fischer (Buescher TT stencil alto)
Noblet Clarinet
Link STM 8* Tenor
EZ refaced HR Link 8 Tenor
Vandoren Masters Bass Clarinet Ligature

Luckily the Canadian Dollar is really strong right now, so I've gotten great deals on everything but somebody stop me before I buy again!

On the plus side, my Baritone, Bb clarinet and Bass Clarinet have never felt better. But it's getting ridiculous.

I found out last week that I'm getting another scholarship. This one REALLY needs to go towards food and rent. So don't sell me anything.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Don't you have to use the money for school?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Martinman said:
Don't you have to use the money for school?
It is for school. I'm a clarinet major. All the clarinet stuff makes practicing more enjoyable and improves my chances of getting good marks. My tuition's already paid, and I've bought my books already.
But it's just a cheque payable to me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,458 Posts
At least you are getting tangible stuff with your money. You spend a dollar on food and rent, what have you got 10 minutes later?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
Sasquatch said:
At least you are getting tangible stuff with your money. You spend a dollar on food and rent, what have you got 10 minutes later?
:twisted:
A full stomach and a place to sleep?

·
Registered
133 Posts
It's good to be excited about school and to enjoy practicing and have nice gear that helps you play your personal best. It's also good to have balance in your life and have some savings for later.

You may want consider your future expenses so that you'll be prepared during school. You'll want to focus on learning rather than being distracted with scraping up cash.

You may find it easier to limit your spending now if you develop some budgets. Consider your personal expenses: food, clothing, toiletries, travel expenses, rent, entertainment, dates, health insurance and such. Also, consider your music expenses: reeds, books, music, repairs, theft insurance and so on. You've already learned that the money goes very fast.

Congratulations on your scholarships! Have a great time at school.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts