Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
He could be reffering to a large contract for wind instruments Buescher won for delivery to US Military bands in 36/37 ?

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Maybe. Have any cites?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've been informed here on SOTW some years back ( it could be from Paul(w)L ) that both my US engraved 327k 129 bari and my USQM engraved 273k tenor were part of such military contracts.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
Buescher supplied the service bands, but I don't know that they did so exclusively for any length of time.
My 264k True-Tone tenor is marked USQMC (Quartermaster Corps = Army). My 285k Aristocrat tenor is marked U.S. (also Army).

·
Registered
250 Posts
It was Jason DuMars that gave me the following information: "Buescher won the bid for that run of horns" - and it was about the 1949 US horn, not the 1936/37 USQM - but in my imagination I've just assumed that the contract situation was the same for both ;)

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?44798-big-B-engraving

·
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Buescher supplied the service bands, but I don't know that they did so exclusively for any length of time.
My 264k True-Tone tenor is marked USQMC (Quartermaster Corps = Army). My 285k Aristocrat tenor is marked U.S. (also Army).
I have horns in those ranges as well that don't have military insignia. It doesn't seem to have stymied production of consumer horns. We're really only talking about additional engraving, in reality, and I'd suspect that additional $$'s coming in from a g'ment contract would improve the financials -- which they could then commit to R&D and other market experimentation. Doesn't quite add up as a root cause, regardless of the year.

·
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
It was Jason DuMars that gave me the following information: "Buescher won the bid for that run of horns" - and it was about the 1949 US horn, not the 1936/37 USQM - but in my imagination I've just assumed that the contract situation was the same for both ;)

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?44798-big-B-engraving
1949 would have been the 156 and 1936 was a 127 (on tenors). The US g'ment is nearsighted on contracts like this. While they can run several years before another RFP, they are generally fairly short term and they tend to create framework contracts with several suppliers to establish competitive pricing, and then the various agencies (or services) buy what they want from these contracts. Back then it's far less likely there would have been a single contract to service the different branches (which is entirely true today), so unless we're going to consider that Buescher was buried by success with multiple branches/agencies, and that contributed to their downfall, it would seem counter-intuitive. I'm not personally prepared to make that kind of leap.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,865 Posts
Now I know who "Pete" is. :)

Your old site is of course a great reference and that's where I started from. The 1940 catalog shows a split bell TT (model 129) alongside a Big B alto and tenor, but no 139 or an Aristocrat-labeled 129 l/h bell key bari. Next reference I can find is the 1949 catalog that of course has the Big B bari (still a model 129 but now with l/h bell keys).

284xxx still seems to be the latest serial number and I've seen two of them. I'll post pics of mine as soon as Doc's done with it, but here's a bell pic of another one of the same vintage. This one and mine are the only two I've seen with the Aristocrat engraving (so far), and no longer called a "Custom Built".

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/RARE-VINTAGE-1937-BUESCHER-BARITONE-ARISTOCRAT-LOW-PITCH-SAXOPHONE-/00/s/OTYwWDEyODA=/$(KGrHqZHJBgE8ey95BjQBPRj2Y7hzg~~60_57.JPG
That's a [non-displaying] photo of my horn .

Still needs an overhaul .. and a neck -- it's been almost 2 years since I bought it, and I haven't gotten around to it, yet .

Definitely heavier than my #1 Conn 12M . Maybe that's why I've been putting it off ?
I do look forward to getting it up and working, tho' -- maybe this year I'll get it done ?? :mrgreen:

·
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
... and you told me you didn't have an SOTW account... :)

This work better? Musical instrument Wind instrument Art Wood Metal

·
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Update on the "damaged-in-shipping 139". Aaron Barnard and Kim Bock have collaborated to put this old girl back together and this horn is on its way back to me in a very short 3 months. I should see it next week and I'll be please to share some photos!

Another update on the silver 139 that's been out for restoration for quite some time. Sherry Huntley, Artistic Engraving, had her way with it and this is the video she provided as an overview of the work I asked her to do. Appears to be going viral on Facebook amongst the saxophone repair crowd. Don't have the actual video myself, but here it is on her Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202276615028008
Doc Frazier gets this bell/bow assembly back and will be very busy masking all this off before sand blasting it for the satin finish that most of the horn, besides the engraving, gets.

It's been a couple years since I've seen this horn. I can hardly wait to see this finished!! Doc, you have your work cut out for you on this one! :O)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Update on the "damaged-in-shipping 139". Aaron Barnard and Kim Bock have collaborated to put this old girl back together and this horn is on its way back to me in a very short 3 months. I should see it next week and I'll be please to share some photos!

Another update on the silver 139 that's been out for restoration for quite some time. Sherry Huntley, Artistic Engraving, had her way with it and this is the video she provided as an overview of the work I asked her to do. Appears to be going viral on Facebook amongst the saxophone repair crowd. Don't have the actual video myself, but here it is on her Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202276615028008
Doc Frazier gets this bell/bow assembly back and will be very busy masking all this off before sand blasting it for the satin finish that most of the horn, besides the engraving, gets.

It's been a couple years since I've seen this horn. I can hardly wait to see this finished!! Doc, you have your work cut out for you on this one! :O)
Awesome! You must be excited to see it progressing. I saw her video a few days ago linked on FaceBook from Curt Altarac.

·
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Got the 139 today that Aaron put back together.

Man... Same very focused tone that you expect from a Buescher horn, but bigger/fuller/fatter. The 129 is a more compact sounding horn. This 139 is not at all spread and unfocused like a Selmer, but much richer than the 129 (Big B) while retaining the focused core. Hard to explain.

My Big B is on loan to a friend today, so I can't A-B them for you right now, but you'll hear what I mean shortly.

What really knocked my socks off was the intonation! I have never played a bari where the intonation was so dead on accurate -- including every modern and other vintage bari I've ever tried. So easy to play this beast in tune that you really just aren't having to adjust the pitch at all, anywhere on the horn. Even D2 isn't sharp or stuffy!

Thinking I was going to have some trouble with mouthpieces, I tried a Strathon, a modern Link, TW Durga, Vandoren V16, and a Rascher. All played in tune on the original neck, something the Big B won't do! It doesn't care! Finally, the neck is positioned that I can look right over the top of the crook at the music. Even the crook is out of the way.

Damn shame they didn't make more of these. Grab one if you can, you won't be disappointed.

Here's some pics, including the new pants guard that Aaron Barnard made for it. It's so close to what Buescher should have done that you have to look pretty hard at it and know what the horn should look like stock to even see it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8qubnasnuqtoy5t/7z7jaDbwmg

·
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·

·
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Kewl. Anyone mention the Eb vent, yet?
You're talking about the trill Eb? I had several back and forth's with Kenneth **** (bari player for the Rascher Quartet) who was surprised that my '50 Big B didn't have one while his '49 does. Is it different than one that does? Looks pretty much the same from the pics on your old site, but I don't have one in my hands to do a direct compare.

·
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·

·
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·

·
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I told its new owner to check up in the body tube for the neck. I got one with no neck a couple years ago and found the neck wedged into the G# tone hole.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts