1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,617 Posts
General tips: Yeah, embouchure is very different. There are some good threads on here about it somewhere...

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,309 Posts
These are very nice playing clarinets. The included mouthpiece is pretty good too.
I'd say start out with a Rico Orange box or Mitchel Lurie 2.5 just to get the feel for the different embouchure.
If you have access to a clarinet specific teacher or advanced clarinet playing friend get a few lessons. At least enough to be sure you have the embouchure, hand position and horn angle under control.
Remember, the clarinet is not a black wood version of the straight soprano. Not everything will 'translate'.
Once you get going I think you'll have fun! The clarinet is a beautiful instrument indeed...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'd agree. The signet is a nice playing instrument. I've got one my parents bought new for my sister around '77 and it's held up to her, my nephew, and now my daughter. Great horn for a first clarinet!

·
1,260 Posts
The Selmer Signet Special is a little better than the Selmer Signet. There were some added enhancements, I guess.

These a great instruments. I find it to be a great clarinet for doublers.

As far as learning to play the clarinet, get a good teacher. This instrument is not a saxophone. Do not ever make that mistake in thinking when playing this instrument. This will keep you sane during your clarinet studies.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses..waiting for this thing to come in the mail soon. Will update and ask more questions later yeeee

·
3,015 Posts
iplayed one for 25 years and no one never knew i wasnt using a pro horn. good enough to fool the buffet mafia

1 - 7 of 7 Posts