Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,412 Posts
Do you mean the price? if its too much, don't pay it. You can't get 'ripped-off' if you don't buy.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Although Martin made excellent instruments, I agree that the asking price is extremely "optimistic" for a stencil horn. You could get a Committee for that price.

Also, it's a bit deceptive of the seller to list the instrument as a Martin "Lyric", as if it were one of Martin's own models. Yes, Martin manufactured it, but the value is pretty much always less for stencil horns than for those that were branded by one of the major manufacturers. That distinction matters when it comes to market values.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,899 Posts
I agree the price is on the high side, however it is not a rip off as 1saxman pointed out, it would only be a ripoff if it was misrepresented somehow (OK it's a Indiana? stencil made by Martin)

Buying it is not complusory, nor is that price even compulsory to the sale as they invite offers.

Not quite a good comparison.

(a) It's an the auction that hasn't ended so there is no set price
(b) It needs an overhaul that could easily add $500 + to the cost
(c) The reverb listing is by Sam Ash, so the horn is being sold recently serviced by a physical reputable dealer so you would expect a possible extra 50% on top of an ebay or private seller type price.
(d) Vintage Brilhart included with the Sam Ash horn
(e) Sam Ash say they will accept offers.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
That one is pretty nice. I'd say it is worth more in the $500-$600 range. Comes with a rubber Brilly too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 1956 THE MARTIN ALTO that I may be posting for sale soon. It's a great player, but the lacquer is not as good shape as the one in that photo.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Now that I think of it, I hate to have to sell that alto, but I need the cash and Mrs. Funky says "Why do you need so many saxes ANYWAY?... (in the voice of Hillary..)

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,899 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,937 Posts
Keep posting, you are nearly there!
Yeah, funny thing is that Funky joined before 2013, so he’s exempt from the 50 post threshold.

Maybe he’s just back in the ‘hood and sharing the love.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts