Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bullet and stick mics have long been the choice for blues and r&b for doublers. Could this soon change?

Professional musician/teacher/inventor Mitch Grainger writes:

"As for the new Dyna-mic, I came up with it because I needed a hands free solution that sounded like a bullet mic, without the need for your hands to create the tone. If you are using a bullet mic in a band situation, or a stick mic for that matter, you absolutely must encapsulate the harmonica and the microphone with your hands, otherwise you will loose 50% of the harmonicas sound to the sides of the mic and other sound waves interfering and drowning it out. This meant anyone who would try to play another instrument (again in a band setting) and use their vocal mic would end up having half a harmonica, and in loud bar situations like i am used to, it would simply be futile.

Enter Dyna-mic. The gasket system cups the harmonica to the mic for you, and the mic itself creates a little sound chamber, that concentrates all of the sounds from your harmonica onto the mic element evenly, while rejecting external sound waves, that cause feedback and impede on tone. This has given me absolute freedom live. I can now play harmonica and guitar from anywhere onstage and sound great.

There have been some other benefits discovered almost by accident along the way. The fact that Dyna-mic is like a little iso booth, means that the built in pre-amp can be engineered exactly to sound great under those conditions, without having to compromise in adjusting for different scenarios. By having this pre-amp on board, there are now controls in the palm of your hand, instead of at your feet or on your amp. So, more freedom and you can use the mic direct into a recording console or PA, without an amp and still have great tone, because the on board pre is doing the work. Using it this way limits feedback even more too.

I’d say it’s a tool that every harp player should have in the gig bag,100% if they play another instrument or in live n loud performance settings."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1600391175/dyna-mic-a-microphone-like-no-other

https://mitchgrainger.com/

I've always been interested in innovations that could impact playing and this one caught my eye.

I should emphasize that I have zero connection with Mitch Grainger with regard to this project. However, I had tried some of his free blues harp lessons online, and have registered to take lessons from him. All fees were paid by me in full.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts