Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bonsoir,

Steve, I've been looking at your books on your website and I'm wondering if they should be considered as licks dictionaries or building blocks one could use to create his own lines.

Would you also recommend studying one book before another one?

Finally, I'd like to know how extensive are your practice tips on the books. I'm particularly interested in those as, though I'm a fast learner, my practice sessions often miss order and goals and as a consequence I feel I don't get as much as I could from my practice time.

Maybe I should take an online lesson with you rather than asking those questions?;)

Thanks in advance,
Victor.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,786 Posts
Victor,
I look at the II-V-I books as a collection of licks or patterns. I see it as something like a resource book that I will always be working on and getting ideas from.

The approach books and Bebop scale book are more conceptual. They are dealing with a specific concept. i do talk about how to practice these and I've recorded a few online lessons demonstrating how I practice the material.

You could go with any of the books. I usually give my students one II-V-I lick a lesson, as well as working through a conceptual approach like the approaches or bebop scale, we also work on one tune a week also. You can't be in a rush to master this stuff. It takes a lot of time to master it but I find it makes a huge difference.

I hope this helps. I'm still dealing with my tendonitis so I can only type so much. It is easier for me and you can get more info through a recorded lesson. Thanks, steve

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve, it's exactly what I wanted to hear!!

Victor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts