Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it has been said that the Martin Tenors is the Selmer Mk 6 for the poor; which means the Martin's share similar attributes with the Mk 6.

Now I am wondering is there any soprano has the same "correlation" with the Yani's as the Martin's and Mk 6 do?

:?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
forgot to add, the point is , the Martin's are much cheaper than the Mk 6.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks EastCoastGhost!
The SML in which period?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've heard there's lots of good horns coming out of China now why don't you concentrate on that since it's more realistic of you scoring something nice
Any SML after about 8000 is going to be a nice horn but there not so cheap anymore maybe 1000 for an alto 15ish for a tenor or even more

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,766 Posts
An SML or King Marigaux soprano is as good or beter than a mk6 soprano. The 6's have those primative palm keys, but the SML, and Conns for that matter, have more "normal" (whatever that means) palm keys.

I have owned a mk6 soprano, a Yamaha 62 and a Conn. I've kept the Conn. The pitch is as good as a mk6 but the sound is superior. I recommend Conn or later SML/King Marigaux. Yanigasawas are good too. The older 80's models feel like a mk6 and play just as well.

Keep in mind that Selmer never produced a mk7 soprano, so the 6's produced in the mk7 period have the same metal alloy as the mk7s. Don't get me wrong, any Selmer can be a great horn, but the better value can be found elsewhere.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,299 Posts
Lorentz: I'd never heard that about The Martin and MKVI tenors, but since I am not a tenor player and don't pay much attention to the horns and their histories, my not hearing about that means nothing.

However, I am a soprano player. The only soprano of note that I haven't tried is a Martin. I've owned and played MKVI sopranos and I don't think they are worth much as a horn. I know, I know - many love their VI's and all the more power to them.

I'm torn between a good Buescher TrueTone and Yanagisawas. I own more than one of each brand (two TTs and three Yanagisawa sopranos at this time) and find no correlation to any MKVI I've ever tried. The TTs and Yanagisawas have all been superior. DAVE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts