Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,191 Posts
Something military or governmental. Air force Platoon?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Aah interesting! I can't find any more like it. Is this a common engraving or a rarity? It's a non engraved VI with a blue stamped neck. I notice it's also missing the MARK VI stamp below the serial number. Is this because it's european?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,174 Posts
Not all Mark VI are stamped as such, so if it wouldn’t have it that, in itself , is not strange. Selmer Marked certain serial numbers with A B C meaning that they were replicated serial numbers .

Douglas Pipher, of course, being the resident Selmer historian with access to the Selmer Archives may be able to answer your question, however he has been missing from the forum for 3 months

Try sending him a message ( now called conversation) here

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
I had a silver plated engraved MarkVI soprano I really didn’t really like that much so I sold it to get a lacquered one that plays better,
I’ve played one silver plated Mark VI tenor and I had he same impression. It didn’t seem to play like others.

Thats an odd one. It looks like it could’ve been done at the factory unless it was silver plated later.
I guess I’d think military since it’s silver plated.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi people

Just wondering if someone can help me with what this 'A / P' means stamped above the serial number of this silver plate Mark VI?

Thanks
I have an Alto with the A P on it with the numbers 6584, I think the A P stands for Admiralty Pattern and the numbers are the stock number. So yours is either an ex Royal Marines Band instrument, as mine is, or one of the previous British Army bands or band training establishments acquired it through the Royal Marines stores system.

·
39,174 Posts
correct me if I am wrong, but would an British Army instrument not bear the “ broad arrow” ( otherwise called Pheon) somewhere?

·
Registered
111 Posts
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca_share_media1610545105170_6755115776796257531.jpg
Here's a picture of my " A P " number, with Government arrow. This would have been put on all instruments in the Royal Marines Bands in the workshops at Deal Kent UK, even stringed ones, the numbers would have been different. There are still some Mark VI'S in use with the Marines with AP numbers and also some stringed instruments too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have an Alto with the A P on it with the numbers 6584, I think the A P stands for Admiralty Pattern and the numbers are the stock number. So yours is either an ex Royal Marines Band instrument, as mine is, or one of the previous British Army bands or band training establishments acquired it through the Royal Marines stores system.
Aah thats great thank you for that. Yeah I think that makes sense - along with the fact that the VI is unengraved and also silverplate. Thanks

·
39,174 Posts
Yes, exactly, every military Issued British object has a Broad arrow, but that is very different from SE-Horns (or manybe not?)

Lots of Mark VI didn’t have any Mark VI stamped on it anywhere ( military issued or not)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,231 Posts
Yes, exactly, every military Issued British object has a Broad arrow, but that is very different from SE-Horns (or manybe not?
+1

The stamps are of two different fonts, but it could have been an effort to replicate a symbol that was not in the second set of stamps.

Reactions: 400VI62

·
39,174 Posts
and locations...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,573 Posts
The main thing is, it is not a Selmer marking, so it essentially means nothing now, except maybe about $500 less value on the horn.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts